• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this trailer worth?

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Okay, so here's the deal. I've got a line on getting the trailer below for a good price, but I want to see what you all think it's worth.

It's a 1983 Burro trailer. The cabin is approximatly 10' long. The total trailer height is about 8'. I am taking it for granted that I'll have to to somewhat major interior work (it's been sitting awhile in a moist enviroment).

I haven't seen the inside, but I think it has a range and possibly a 'fridge (it has a 7 gallon propane tank on the front of it).

It has trailer brakes, I don't know anything about the function of them, I don't think this trailer has moved in maybe two years (registration expired some time in 2002).

The outside has some mold on it, that is what the dark stuff is. The plastic shell appears to be intact though, and from the look of it will easily clean up. The only wildcards on the outside is that cover for the seam up top (the dark line going through the center) which I'd like to replace and that rooftop vent, I'd like to get something that is more of a flush mount, plus it appears to be aftermarket and I'm not sure it seals water well, I'd be replacing it no matter what.

If I do get it I might just replace the axle with another more conventional axle (it has some odd swing arm spring I think, either that or it's un-spring) with leaves, so I can bring it up a few inches, the rear bumper is a mere 9" off the ground.

Anyway, here are pictures of the outside...

burro-right.jpg

buro-rear.jpg

Thanks,
Sequoia

I don't know what it is worth

but

It's going to be priceless when you show up at the first run towing it behind your XJ

:D

hinkley

I can help you out with the electrical brakes and getting the controller in :D .
In regards to the mold, if it's outside only, then it's not a problem... if you got mold on the inside, that might be a bit of a bigger problem, but it also might be survivable especially if it's at the price you told me... then you strip out the interior down to the shell and take care of it :D. You also most likely will have to do some heavy duty cleaning/servicing to all the tanks (especially water) and probably will have to replace some hoses (I'd probably replace the gas hoses to be on the safe side :p)....

I also would suggest a visit to a local to you RV place to talk to them about mold and maintenance and also call Burro @ 619 425 8600 and see what they say.... Youalso might be able to get some maintenance type of paperwork out of them (you can get their newer manuals as the general maintenance doesn't change much).

Oh.... one last thing... remember to obey all posted traffic signs in the area of Barstow that refer to towing trailers LOL

I've been craving one of those little things for years. Tired of leaky popups! Pity it's not around here. I'd snap it up, mold and all.

Think very carefully before replacing the axle and spring system. Some trailing-arm setups are very effective at fighting sway, which might be a problem with such a high-profile rig.

Realistically, not much. My own personal opinion, considering the pics and what you've said: less than $500.

I spent a few minutes googling for burro trailers, and there are a few out there changing hands. No info on price though.

Consider that it's a 20 year old trailer with a bunch of known issues. Mold, interior rot from humidity, low ground clearance.

Wait a sec.... you haven't seen the inside? Do NOT make any offer on it until you get inside. And crawl under it to check the floor.

I think you'll be surprised if you dig into an RV trailer just how cheaply they're built.

I've got a 2000 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up that I'm quite pleased with. Obviously, I don't share the esteemed Mr. Currie's opinions! Mine travels well, it's made 3 trips from Chicago to Moab. The only maintenance issue so far is the wheel bearings either need to be adjusted or replaced. I picked up a Coleman for a couple of reasons. First of all, they just seemed to be better built than the other manufacturers. And they're priced accordingly. I also got a pretty good deal on mine, it had been sitting on the lot for a year. Brand new, 3 way fridge and furnace, no A/C (not much point in a pop-up, IMHO.)

I'll see what it's like inside when I can. I took a good look under it as well as outside, and it appears to be sound. The only unknowns on the outside is the condition of the brakes and any burnt out lights.

As for the axle, I'll see what this axle is like, and I certinaly would like to control sway! I'll be posting up before I do anything if I end up buying it.

And Hinkley...
Bite me :D

Back