• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft lengths

dgmachinist

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for the OEM lengths for an 1988 XJ driveshaft. (both front and rear) I am thinking of swapping out my 242 t-case and putting in a 231. The Jeep is a 4spd auto, I'm not sure of the axles, but I think that they are Dana 30's??? they are not disco type. I was told by one person that I would have to get new shafts, then another told me that the ones I had would suffice....

Seth

The axles are not Dana 30s. The front is, but the rear will be either a Dana 35 (most likely) or a Dana 44 (not very likely). The D44 has a longer pionion and takes a correspondingly shorter driveshaft.

I'm currently working on an '88 with Dana 35 axle and 242 transfer case. I'll try to remember to measure the rear shaft length for you when I'm in the garage tomorrow.

BTW -- check the North Atlantic Chapter forum, we're planning a get-together in Maine. Hope to see you there.

Well, my 88 currently has the 242. The reason that I want to replace it is because it's cracked. I just happen to have a 231 sitting in my shed. I do disagree however on the case length. I think that the 231 is .150 thousands (about 5/32nds) longer. But, I could be wrong....

Seth

At one point I had a 242 and 231 Front shafts and the rear from a 242. The fronts were the same length. And if memory serves me the rears were the same also. I still have the rear shaft from a 242.

dgmachinist said:
Well, my 88 currently has the 242. The reason that I want to replace it is because it's cracked. I just happen to have a 231 sitting in my shed. I do disagree however on the case length. I think that the 231 is .150 thousands (about 5/32nds) longer. But, I could be wrong....

Seth

there no SIGNIFICANT difference that would necessitate a change in driveshaft length.

better?!?!? :D

Much! thank you for all your advice! I should be able to tackle the swap this weekend perhaps. I'll let you know how it goes.

Seth

Back