• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

600,000+ mileage 88 XJ

Not to bash the guy but man that is some anal and meticulous work in papers and such documenting each gas fill up. Bet it covers 3 binders.

I know people that do that.
I keep my fuel receipts ad write down my mileage.

Still no cup holders.

Why does that guy have an atlas in that? I'm surprised he has an ARB, and that he wheels that thing, when he puts a cover over his seat so it doesn't get dirty.

Impressive, but he has a long way to go to catch up with this guy.

I saw that on Jeep's facebook page. Turns out he lives in the same town that I do...about 5 miles away! When I get the XJ back off jack stands, I plan to call him up and see if I can come over and look at it.

I have seen it around town, but just thought it looked cool. Never would have guessed the mileage on it!

Why does that guy have an atlas in that? I'm surprised he has an ARB, and that he wheels that thing, when he puts a cover over his seat so it doesn't get dirty.

I'd guess the original 231 was warn out (probably just stretch chain and shift pads) and the cost to get a new one from the shop was close enough to the Atlas to call it a day.

Note that this Jeep does not sport the factory original BA/10!

I'd guess the original 231 was warn out (probably just stretch chain and shift pads) and the cost to get a new one from the shop was close enough to the Atlas to call it a day.

Note that this Jeep does not sport the factory original BA/10!

I did notice that as well. I always heard that thing was a turd to start with. doesnt suprise me that they swapped it unlike the atlas.

Why did they install an atlas in that thing? I doubt they are going to need it...

Come on bear! everyone needs to do front digs on a stock D-30 with stockish tires! JK!!

All the money he has saved in car payments all of these years would easily buy an Atlas

Impressive, but he has a long way to go to catch up with this guy.

images

So am I to infer from that image that 600,000 miles on a 4.0 is equivalent to 3,000,000 miles on a Volvo B-series engine?

If so, I'm not sure if I should take that to mean that the 4.0 is five times less long-lived than the Volvo, or if I should circumvent ever having to worry about the 0331 head cracking in my XJ by replacing the existing engine with two Volvo B20s joined to a common crank. That would even take cubic capacity out to a thundering 3972cc (up from 3968cc), and has potential for six-million-mile longevity!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
So am I to infer from that image that 600,000 miles on a 4.0 is equivalent to 3,000,000 miles on a Volvo B-series engine?

If so, I'm not sure if I should take that to mean that the 4.0 is five times less long-lived than the Volvo, or if I should circumvent ever having to worry about the 0331 head cracking in my XJ by replacing the existing engine with two Volvo B20s joined to a common crank. That would even take cubic capacity out to a thundering 3972cc (up from 3968cc), and has potential for six-million-mile longevity!

:rolleyes:

Apple+and+Orange.png

Oh, OK. I'll clue you in. In all fairness to you, accurate reading comprehension takes both time and effort to develop.

There was no direct comparison between the Jeep and the Volvo on my behalf other than mileage. Anything beyond that is something that simply wasn't there to begin with which you and you alone have read into it, though I'm not entirely certain why. I do note, however, that you've apparently discovered Google Images. Bless your little heart.

Nice try, though. Perhaps next time you'll do better!

Last edited:
2.8 million miles is impressive, but it doesn't say how many engines he's replaced.

actually, i beleive it does say that he's still got the OE motor mand i beleive it says that it hasnt been rebuilt

edit: in fact, it says it in the first paragraph of the article. i hope you didnt forget to read??

Back