• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my attemped at "cold air intake"

Better than my lawnmower grass chute design

My son laughed his ass off upon seeing it,if he see's the issues then I guess you must be screwed!

RCP Phx said:
My son laughed his ass off upon seeing it,if he see's the issues then I guess you must be screwed!

Kind of a dick way of saying it..... but he's right. Other than the fact that you aren't going to see any notable hp gain from putting an intake on a 4.0, you didn't seal it well at all (i.e. the space around the intake tube and "box"). Also, wire loom isn't going to do the trick when it comes to sealing the airbox.

Don't take it personal... i have seen way worse attempts than what you did, but maybe instead of the wire loo try some heat resistant foam stripping around the edges of the box. That would prevent the hot air from the motor compartment being sucked in to your intake. Until then you are just hurting the air charge.

You said this is your attempt. Are you planning on building another? Did you build it because you wanted one and don't really care for about the performance aspect (I won't even get into the ever increasing line of bull that goes along with "cold air intakes" and their make believe gains).

My point is if you built it for you and you like it, who gives a rats a$$ what some arm chair quarterback thinks about it.? I love these guys that can sit there and make dickhead comments from 3000 miles away from the comfort of their computer chair.

I think it looks good for what materials you used and truth be told it works as good as the $200 store bought models (which is little to no benifit, but they look good and sound pretty cool.)

Good job.

downhillracer said:
Kind of a dick way of saying it..... but he's right.
Then why say it!My son is 26 yrs old,your not doing anything that does anything more than stock already provides(except possibly more HOT air since you violated the seal between the engine compartment and the front grille).The only kits that have any value are the "snorkel" kits which actually relocate the fresh air ports to a new "above" water location.And they do not perform any "performance" upgrades.
Considering "gauze" type filters totally suck when it comes to engine protection,need I say more
K&N or any other similar filter=Wasted motor.

Last edited:
darincraft said:
You said this is your attempt. Are you planning on building another? Did you build it because you wanted one and don't really care for about the performance aspect (I won't even get into the ever increasing line of bull that goes along with "cold air intakes" and their make believe gains).

My point is if you built it for you and you like it, who gives a rats a$$ what some arm chair quarterback thinks about it.? I love these guys that can sit there and make dickhead comments from 3000 miles away from the comfort of their computer chair.

I think it looks good for what materials you used and truth be told it works as good as the $200 store bought models (which is little to no benifit, but they look good and sound pretty cool.)

Good job.
this was just something i put together the other day when i was bored. it was something that i could try and not have to worry about spending more then $25. like i said it is an attemped so there is always room for improvment. thanks

RCP Phx said:
Then why say it!My son is 26 yrs old,your not doing anything that does anything more than stock already provides(except possibly more HOT air since you violated the seal between the engine compartment and the front grille).The only kits that have any value are the "snorkel" kits which actually relocate the fresh air ports to a new "above" water location.

LOL... what a d-bag. Anyways.... im sure they have some thick molded rubber or something similar at your local hardware store. You need to seal off the box from the rest of the motor compartment as best you can, or else you are taking a step back from the stock airbox. As far as the snorkel goes, I can think of about 100 other things I would do before I put a "dorkle" on my jeep.

Wow, see mine was waaaayyyy better..

jeepnewtires011-1.jpg

jeepnewtires010-1.jpg

it's deffinatly not as good as a snorkle but it deffunatly is better then 99% of the other homemade intakes i've seen on here, most people just grab a rusty's air tube nd slap a k&n on it, so before you allgo flameing on the guy go critic your stock intake and think about the the tiny whole in the front of the air box with the relitively lage gap between the air box and the grill that leaves space for hoter air possibly to get into

his design might not be 100% eficciant but even if it sucks some hot air is still no where near as restricted as stock

And the guy I sold it to still has that as far as I know..

I love dhr comment "mother of god". I plan on getting the cold air intake off ebay for 80 bucks. It comes w/ a k/n which is a good filter anyway(I've had no problems). I plan on using a black garbage can, hacked up of course, and some pipe insulation. It'll prob cost about 90 bucks total. I'd like to find a nice vent to install above the air filter(in the hood) so it will force air into the intake area. As for people who point and laugh XXXX em. Do what ya like. If it adds no hp, looks good, sounds good, roll w/ it. That is why we live in the USA!:patriot:

I love dhr comment "mother of god". I plan on getting the cold air intake off ebay for 80 bucks. It comes w/ a k/n which is a good filter anyway(I've had no problems). I plan on using a black garbage can, hacked up of course, and some pipe insulation. It'll prob cost about 90 bucks total. I'd like to find a nice vent to install above the air filter(in the hood) so it will force air into the intake area. As for people who point and laugh XXXX em. Do what ya like. If it adds no hp, looks good, sounds good, roll w/ it. That is why we live in the USA!:patriot:

What do you expect to gain with that setup? 20HP? Yeah, K&N kicks arse...

NOMINATED

it may not look factory but props for doing something with your hands. i'm amused by how many people dump loads of money into prebuilt/ bolt on stuff for their rigs then call them custom and trash on people who build their own stuff which often works better but may not look as cool. this hobby is about doing stuff with your hands if you ask me. first of all, you've got to start somewhere and second of all, not everyone has the money for a $250 FIPK kit which looks cool but is a total load IMO. i think it looks pretty decent for the materials used and at speed, you're not getting hot air like those guys said. but who cares... there are a lot of things on my rig that could be better but i'm proud to have built them with my own hands and trying things out of the box. i started out doing basic things and wasn't so great at it. as a matter of fact, the first mod i did was a V8 airbox swap for a bigger box and new filter(had it kicking around). it may not have been the most professional but it was the beginning of my learning curve. now, less than two years later i'm fabbing nearly all my own custom parts and installing lifts etc for $$. f anyone who gives you crap, it's your rig and your hobby. do as you please. "Jeep on":us:
FWIW, this all started with an airbox swap...
dsc01183rkn9.jpg

my.php

Last edited:
FWIW, this all started with an airbox swap...

my.php

Yeah, and it should have stopped before it got to the moon visor:gee: To each his own

To the OP, its a decent attempt but I would replace the wire loom with either the foam thats mentioned or perhaps even with rubber door trim as long as it makes it touch in other areas. I would also replace the areas of tubing that have kinks. When I built one for my old xj, I used 3" exhaust tubing.

Back