• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrade steering pump?

Ty for the links
Have yall done this mod? Drill out the main fitting, ditch a shim or 2 if available... and stretch the springy thing? Is this "better" than a wj pump, or as good? Or is it still a good idea to get the wj pump then perform these mods for best flow when running 35s on a stock pump?

Last edited:
Ty for the links
Have yall done this mod? Drill out the main fitting, ditch a shim or 2 if available... and stretch the springy thing? Is this "better" than a wj pump, or as good? Or is it still a good idea to get the wj pump then perform these mods for best flow when running 35s on a stock pump?
I did this mod on my pump, but have not put it back into service yet. Hopefully this summer. If the pump explodes on initial startup, I'll be sure to come back and update my findings. 🙃

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Ty for the links
I believe Evan 03 Has done this mod you may find his build thread on here

The mods work very well. Theres a screen in the pump that gets plugged fuel of green boogers youl see it when you pull apart to do the mods.

Pirate has the info and photos to help.

Yes drill, remove washers if there are washers and strech the spring.
You can do this without taking pump off the jeep if your crafty.

These mods put pump to 1050 or 1150 from 900 I think depending on how many if any washers are installed. The hole flow slightly more volume I cant remember the size 5/32 maybe, research before drilling a 5/32 hole.

My jeep you almost couldn't steer I think mainly due to plugged screen. It now steers 35s very well. Well enough I see no reason to upgrade further or untill pump dies.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

FWIW, mine is a '98, and there were no physical washers (shims) between my end cap and piston housing, BUT there was a gap between the cap and housing. The cap was effectively "shimmed" into place with thread locker. I took it apart, cleaned it, and tightened down against the housing upon reassembly, effectively removing the "shim."

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

The metal line that bends over the top of the pump.
Pull that line off then pull the Guts out from under it. Then fish spring out of oil with a magnet
Drill, remove washers if präsent, strech spring.

I made a thin wall Socket to be able to pull fitting out of pump while pump is still bolted to rig.

There may a be a pump specific thread wirh pics.
Ill see if I can find it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back