• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

That torx bolt in the oil filter mount (write up).

Its pretty lame if you ask me. Why diddn't Chrysler (or AMC) use a normal shaped bolt head? I needed to replace those 3 O-rings, but there was no way I was going to try and torque that thing up with the torx fitting all stripped out like it was and my torx socket was too long and difficult to use.

So, I....

Welded my torx socket right in there. Actually I braized it w/ a low temp brass filler because I wanted to completely fill the cavity of the internal torx hole without getting it real hot and warping the bolt. I don't have a MIG machine so I thought gas welding it w/ steel filler would heat the bolt up too much and might not join dissimilar steels. I also buried the bolt in a bucket of sand while welding it and let it cool in there slowly.

After I took that picture, I cleaned up the weld a bit and sawed down my the stub from the torx socket, for more clearance. Then I slipped the O rings into their respective spots, lubed them up and stuck that thing back onto my engine block (after cleaning all the mating surfaces, of course).

Now, I can use a 7/16 socket or wrench to install and uninstall the oil filter adaptor.

There, I'm (mostly) done. To install the adaptor and new oil filter took 10 minutes, compared to the hour I spent wrestling with it to just to remove that e-bolt and oil filter mount (and that was after a long day at work).

I drove about 15 miles today, no problems so far.

Back