• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Got everything back together, and finally painted my crossmember..

20210531_095724-me.jpg

Added some tabs to my rear axle to make tying down on the trailer easier.

20210531_105802-me.jpg

20210531_112115-me.jpg

20210531_115948-me.jpg

I didn't cover the process of setting the preload and lash on the bearings, or finding the rear shifter detent ball retainer loose, but after putting it all back together the rig is dead quiet (the atlas always made gear whines) and the rear shifter doesnt rattle anymore.

Honestly those two things alone were worth all the trouble.

- I'd think with what lumber prices are like these days, people are probably being more careful with their wood scraps at the moment...

I hear you on the price of wood, but wood is nothing compared to ladders. The price of a ladder must include a hefty chunk of insurance for the manufacturer. Yet a bunch of folks still can't seem to remember to tie them down.

I don't get it. My best guess is a lack of synapses to rub together and consumption of mind altering substances in one form or another. And yet some people argue marijuana use doesn't impact the rest of us. I hope those folks find a lot of ladders in their lanes.

I don't get it. My best guess is a lack of synapses to rub together and consumption of mind altering substances in one form or another. And yet some people argue marijuana use doesn't impact the rest of us. I hope those folks find a lot of ladders in their lanes.

Well, I am seeing more and more folks running around here in rain or after dark with either no lights at all or just the DRLs, so the "lack of synapses to rub together" is probably a big contributor...

wow! looks like a serious PITA rebuilding an Atlas. Great case tho I'm sure.

Cheers to getting it back together so quickly and fixing those issues you were having.

While the Atlas was out, we cut and trimmed the rear shifter a bit - it was too close to the end of the opening on my console and I couldn't install the shift boot.

20210527_091357-me.jpg

I didn't take pictures but today I pulled the seats and carpet and put down about 25 square feet of Siless Black 80 mil sound matt, closed up the shifter hole as tight as I could, finally installed the Atlas shift boot and trimmed the 2wd shifter block off plate to fit the shift boot.

In 4 high the front shifter rubs the console, I may end up making more adjustments - but I'm pretty happy so far. I am astounded by how much quieter the car is. I need to get more of the matt and do the back half.

20210613_134116-me.jpg

Here's a thought for you, if making adjustments to what you have doesn't get you where you want to be:

I met a guy this weekend at NACFest who had a 96 with LS swap and Atlas case. I'm not sure exactly how he did it, but he used two stock XJ tcase shifter handles for his Atlas, with them sitting side by side in (or nearly in) the stock location. Nice and low-profile, and made it look like it could have been an OEM option.

Good point, I didn't get details on how he connected them up, just looked in the cab, saw them, and thought it was a slick choice.

Yes it is. If I had seen that before I cut the floor I'd have just bought it.

I'm copying @Anak's post from the radiator thread here and continuing the conversation.

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=246734856&postcount=302

Cal, if you are going to run the Cold Case let me suggest you do several things: First, ditch the O-ring for the Renix sensor in the tank. There is no support for the outside of the O-ring. It will blow out. Either put in a metal backed seal, a soft aluminum washer seal or just seal the plug directly to the tank.

Secondly, flush the radiator several times before you install it. These radiators are full of metal shavings. I expect they are the product of cutting the cores. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the reason so many Mishimotos end up being plugged.

Finally, expect to need to re-seal the overflow fitting at the radiator cap. Whoever is assembling these things must be racing a work quota. They only thread them in a few turns.

Beyond those things, don't expect to fit a ZJ clutch. I found installation went smoother if I improved the chamfer on the pins that drop into the radiator support at the bottom. I also ditched the drain ****. Planning ahead and ordering an aluminum plug (3/8 NPT IIRC) might be best.

And it may be that you already know the above from my own posts on the topic, but the info may be useful to someone else.

Edit to add: Somehow I never before noticed that we have nanny control software. Make that a "drain rooster", or maybe "draincock" will sneak by...

All good info, i never saw your thread on it. url?

The plan is in fact to run a ZJ fan clutch, as well as a ZJ 7 blade fan if it will fit. And a new GMB performance water pump, Motorad high flow 180* thermostat, hoses, belts, etc etc.

Also ordered up a Derale trans cooler and going to remove that heat from the cooling system. Not sure where we're going to fit this monster yet but we'll find space ;)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N0N75PM/

On 4643 we moved the radiator forward .750 by cutting the mounts off and rewelding them forward .750. I'm not afraid to do the same here to make room for the upgraded clutch - i just have to make sure all of the AC provisions still fit.

I've been considering getting a Derale as well. I like the fan cooling. My plan is to put towards the rear of the vehicle so that the heated air doesn't flow through the engine bay. My thought was to mount it to the TC skid plate where it turns up behind the TC. This should keep it out of harms way. No significant air flow in that area via vehicle movement, but the fans should take care of things. How do you plan to trigger the fans? Put a t-switch in the trans cooler line?

Is the ZJ fan larger diameter and/or thicker?

The Derale is just for the trans? Pretty slick... steep price tag, but I bet it's more efficient at cooling than the stock trans cooler and/ or a ps cooler. Be nice to be able to cool both with just the one unit tho.

Is there plans for hydro assist? I feel like I asked that previously, but it seems like the interpretation of "light duty trail rig" has changed over the course if the build lol

I'm looking REAL hard at Texas offroad or what ever. Send in your gear get a reman ported and ready to go with the hose fittings and ram.. at a significantly lower price than PSC. If hydro assist is to far off topic I could just start a thread of course

All good info, i never saw your thread on it. url?

It starts at post #235 in the radiator thread (I am no good at putting up links to individual posts, and giving you a link to that thread could count as a violation of the Geneva Convention) and goes on for a couple more posts.

I have some follow up pics that I need to get around to.

I also still need to pursue a shipping cost refund with Cold Case. They claim they sent a check with their parent company's name on it. I have yet to receive said check. It has been two months.

Of course Y'all realize that the water pump and fan on the ZJ spins the opposite direction than the one on the XJ, TJ's ect.. right? just my 3 cents worth:confused1

Beyond those things, don't expect to fit a ZJ clutch. I found installation went smoother if I improved the chamfer on the pins that drop into the radiator support at the bottom. I also ditched the drain ****. Planning ahead and ordering an aluminum plug (3/8 NPT IIRC) might be best.

So to make sure I could fit a ZJ clutch..

20210725_091643-me.jpg

20210725_091713-me.jpg

20210725_091919-me.jpg

20210725_092652-me.jpg

20210725_092856-me.jpg

20210725_093856-me.jpg

20210725_093859-me.jpg

20210725_094311-me.jpg

20210725_094318-me.jpg

20210725_103653-me.jpg

20210725_103945-me.jpg

20210725_104804-me.jpg

20210725_105205-me.jpg

For the top I'll just redrill the holes in the core support. Should give me nearly an additional inch of clearance to fit the ZJ fan clutch. I'll probably have to play with the AC condenser mounts a bit but that should not be a big deal.

Now you have done it.

Gone and voided another warranty.

Other than that, good job.

Nice work as always, it's always nice to see.

Back