• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel noise when turning left or right?

TmacisN11

NAXJA Forum User
I dont know if this problem is normal or night, but I have been noticing when i start my car up and let it warm up i go to pull out of my driveway and when i go to turn either left or right it makes a sortof wierd noise not a creaking noise like something is rubbing but some sort of noise i really just cant explain, it used to stop once i had it fully warmed up, but now it doesnt. Could it be old or bad power steering fluid or is it something in the steering wheel or...? It definately sound like its coming from inside the car and not underneath it like in the front end or anything? Any help please!!!

You could remove the panels under the dash to see if something is rubbing (that's what i've been meaning to do). The panels are easy to remove...i just haven't had the time and desire (both at the same time) to mess with it. My noise is more of a "squeeking" noise. It's more annoying than anything else.

My ’97 SE does the same thing. Only when it’s cold, and when the cab heats up it goes away. Sounds like metal squeaking on rubber. There’s a rubber grommet where the column goes through the firewall, I suspect that’s the culprit. Though, like John I haven’t worked up enough give-a-sh*t to take a look at it. Heck, it’s only been doing it for 9 years, what do you want from me?

I just posted about this, and now I find this thread. Anyway, same story, pretty much. 97 XJ, when parallel parking [New York, nuff said] it sounds like there's a Canadian goose stuck under the dash. I have noticed that it goes away with the tilt column all the way up -- but who wants to drive like that?

hawk_sixsix said:
I just posted about this, and now I find this thread. Anyway, same story, pretty much. 97 XJ, when parallel parking [New York, nuff said] it sounds like there's a Canadian goose stuck under the dash. I have noticed that it goes away with the tilt column all the way up -- but who wants to drive like that?

The lube dries up,in order to get a good silicone grease in the correct location the column must be dis-assembled,Most everybody just put up with it until warm weather makes it go away.
Wayne

"lube dries up,in order to get a good silicone grease in the correct location " ---- which location? I have access to electronic microfiche; what should I be looking for?

we use to have problems with the clock springs "honking" when i was at the chyrsler shop back then. my 99 does it, don't wory about it unless it really bugs you.

Oh, it's bugging me all right. My passengers crack up when they hear it. This has to get fixed -- has anyone specifically located the problem? Exact location / TSB# / partnumber to replace seal / etc.?

My 98 sport also does this, exactly the same... the goose syndrome. :banghead: My friends call it the squirrel though. Luckily, mine goes away after just a few turns as it warms up, but its still annoying.

Try this TSB,22-66-97 Dec 97
Fire wall noise/air leak
Not sure if it,s the correct one. The shaft seal at the firewall dries out and must be re-lubed.
Wayne

Alright, folks, I found the answer to my own question. I don't know how specific I can get with proprietary Chrysler information here, but generally speaking -- there are two Technical Service Bulletins addressing this problem. "Steering Column Boot Squawk" is the official name for this. Solution: Lubricate the steering column intermediate shaft and boot at the bulkhead -- where the small end of the boot contacts the shaft -- with MOPAR Seat Belt Track lube. The dealer gets .2 hours labor to do this, so it can't be too bad.

Apparently this is an epidemic; I hope I've helped a few people out there.

Wayne Sihler said:
Try this TSB,22-66-97 Dec 97
Fire wall noise/air leak
Not sure if it,s the correct one. The shaft seal at the firewall dries out and must be re-lubed.
Wayne
Whoops - forgot to thank Wayne for his post. Didn't see that until after my research this morning. I got a different TSB#, but thanks for the reply.

TSB 19-02-96 and revised 19-04-98

Back