• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What order should I go in?

Xjin85

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ. I don't know much about the history of the vehicle. I am about to install new:

-fuel rail
-Injectors
-Spark Plugs
-Both 02 sensors (bank 2)

I was wondering what the best order is to do this in?

What else should consider replacing under there while I'm at it that won't break the bank?

I live in MA and cars that are 20+ years old (XJ's) do not need to meet any emission standards. So, Is it necessary or does it matter to replace the 02 sensors? If I do will it improve the performance of the jeep?

First of all use NTK O2 sensors on the '01.
Second just bought?
Would not do any of that stuff.
At least not yet.
Except the plugs.
Fluids. All of them. Oil first.
Flush the radiator and heater core.
Think about doing a thermostat and check the hoses.
Maybe open the diffs and put fresh fluid in there too.
Drain and refill power steering and brake.
I just suck it out once a year.
Drop tranny and transfer case fluid too.
Then drive it and go from there.

Why should I not do any of that?

1) One of the existing injectors is split and the fuel rail is badly rusted/pitted.

2) I pulled OBD codes and got a P0158 for bad 02 sensors for Bank 2 sensor 2 so I am changing both sensors in Bank 2 for good measure as suggested. It needs to be done.

I already planned on using NTK sensors but am having trouble finding the #23110 (post cat front) sensor 1.

Also, I already changed all the fluids except for the differentials which I will be doing soon.

First of all use NTK O2 sensors on the '01.
Second just bought?
Would not do any of that stuff.
At least not yet.
Except the plugs.
Fluids. All of them. Oil first.
Flush the radiator and heater core.
Think about doing a thermostat and check the hoses.
Maybe open the diffs and put fresh fluid in there too.
Drain and refill power steering and brake.
I just suck it out once a year.
Drop tranny and transfer case fluid too.
Then drive it and go from there.

BTW- thanks Ralph for your input and other suggestions. Sharing stuff like that helps guys like me out alot. Good stuff! Thermostats and hoses are on the agenda now :eeks1:.

Well you did not say all that so......
Check with your local Napa.
Just ordered one for a buddy in Norway who could not get his hands on one them either, pretty sure it was that part number, and shipped it to him myself.

Well you did not say all that so......
Check with your local Napa.
Just ordered one for a buddy in Norway who could not get his hands on one them either, pretty sure it was that part number, and shipped it to him myself.

Thanks Ralph, I just found them on NAPA's site.

Should I even bother changing the 02 sensors since my jeep doesn't have to meet emissions standards? In my case is there any real benefit with performance in changing them out? I'd rather not have to pay $120+ to replace new sensors unless there is any real benefit to the jeep's health.

Well not familiar with what P0158 is and had to Google it.
I am seeing other things besides the O2 sensor that could be the problem.
The one that catches my eye the most is the engine running rich one.
Me personally I want it right.
So I would have to fix the problem regardless of emissions in my state or not.
Also it is said that O2 sensors do have a shelf life.
100 to 150K.
After I sorted through all the issues in my '00 that I bought 10 years ago, kinda running and not really drive-able, and did all maintenance I just replace all 4 cause figured they were original and needed to go.
What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

People say that over time O2 sensors get "lazy".
Don't read quite as properly as they did and guessing things like gas mileage can be effected somewhat.
Like I said I just figured they were original, had about 150K on them at the time, and needed to go.
With a little luck will never have to worry about them again.
Just be sure it is the O2 sensor throwing the CEL if you do decide to do something about it first.

I would replace what needs replacing. Injectors and fuel rail are fine. Then get it checked. If it doesn’t pass then o2 sensors and cats would be next on my list.

A lot of recommendations on the NTK brand of O2 sensors. I see that Rock Auto offers Mopar brand. Would those be better?
It's pricey but is it worth it?

A lot of recommendations on the NTK brand of O2 sensors. I see that Rock Auto offers Mopar brand. Would those be better?
It's pricey but is it worth it?

Been about 9 years now since I put the 4 new NTK's in my CA Emissions '00.
Best I can tell everything is fine.
Plus it has been said that NTK is OEM anyway so......

Don't read quite as properly as they did and guessing things like gas mileage can be effected somewhat.
Like I said I just figured they were original, had about 150K on them at the time, and needed to go.
With a little luck will never have to worry about them again.
Just be sure it is the O2 sensor throwing the CEL if you do decide to do something about it first.

8 or 9 years, & 3 XJ's, later, didn't even realise they had CEL - well, put it like this, I've never seen it (except, fleetingly, during "cockpit drill"). Guess I've just been lucky, especially as my '98 has no CAT & the sensors just tied up out of the way. Coming up to 148,000 so I'm pre-warned, in which case it'll get the one from my '96 parts Jeep (@ at least it'll be OEM).As for poor gas mileage, I put that down to the 2" lift & 31" MT's it came with.

. . .
Plus it has been said that NTK is OEM anyway so......

Thus demonstrating another example of paying for the privilege of having some generic part in a Mopar box. Not that Mopar are the only culprits & certainly not the worst (that accolade probably goes to Ferrari packaged Champion plugs for the twin plug V12 - & they're not even the best plugs for street use)

Don't read quite as properly as they did and guessing things like gas mileage can be effected somewhat. <<<<<<<Most definitely

The post cat sensor does affect fuel economy more than people realize. Furthermore, improper fuel control can cause catalyst melt down, obstructing exhaust, and on more than one occasion, rendering the truck undriveable. YRMV

Back