• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post SYE adujstments and Q's

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK... so I got about 4" lift rear, about 3.5" in the front (still needs work.. but I'm broke at the moment) and I got the RE hack and tap SYE..... Also I got the 1" drop crossmember from rusty's (leftover from pre SYE days, will be gone by october... again no $$ nor time to do it now)

Anywyas, so I got a CV shaft and 3* shims and I drove it for about 20 miles, it felts good, then it sat for about 5 hours and coming back I think I had some weird vibes..... weird because something in my front dash rattled but I the spine/vibe sensor didn't go off (I know vibes feel on my spine from the after lift and before drop days, as well as from more lift before SYE days). In any case, I will be going underneath tomorrow to tighten things up (too tired now to do anything right). Anything else that could be a culprit?

Also I think I still got some whine coming from the front.... I drove for about 50 miles with the 1.25" drop on the t case (rusty's 1" crossmember and two 1/8" spacers to temporarily get rid of vibes in the rear) and it WHINED like crazy thus motivating me to get the SYE....

Also I think I got the rear diff pointing right. I think it's pointing to right under the tcase output, plus I don't seem to have any vibes (or change in the dash rattle) at acceleration or decelaration... SHould I just bulls eye it? or what?

So appart from making sure that all is tight as it was anything else I should check? I did grease the joints and the shafts before driving it.

Kejtar

Last edited:
Why do you still have the t-case drop if you have the SYE installed? Get rid of the drop. I don't understand your money issue with the crossmember; just put your original one back on.

What are the angles of the rear drive shaft and the rear pinion? The rear should point about 1º lower than the drive shaft, but this isn't written in stone. That means some work good at the same angle, some at 1º less, and some 1½º less, etc. 1º less is about right for most rigs. Also, how is the angle of the front drive shaft? Did you find a happy balance between the front drive shaft to pinion angle and the caster? Get yourself an angle finder if you don't have one already. They're cheap.

Is your track bar adjusted for the lift? And lastly, check the condition of the bushings on all of the control arms to ensure they are serviceable.

Tom

IIRC,his OE X-member got thrashed on a 'wheeling trip. The Rusty's X-member should be fine with the SYE. It's a LOT beefier piece than the OE stamped steel crap,and you lose no clearance VS. a traditional 1" drop using the 1" blocks. I say go out and buy an angle finder ($10 at Lowe's or Home Depot) and set the angles that way. Like it was previously mentioned,pinion should be 1-1.5* below t-case output and it *should* be right on. Oh,yeah,get rid of those 1/8" spacers,too. You're only loosing ground clearance and putting your front driveshaft at an even steeper angle. :) Just my $.02

lol.... Yup... my stock crossmember looks like a piece of a noodle that was bent in all shapes. I do plan to change that crossmember for something that pushes the t-case back up to the original positon and gives me a bit more clearance but that's for the future.

In any case, I have removed the 1/8" worht of spacers, now I will have to look at the angles then.
In regards to bushings, they look right, in regards to the rest of adjustments in the front, nothing has changed for the last 1.5 years so there should be no need to suddendly readjust the trackbar....

THanks guys

Kejtar

I got the impression that you lifted the front, in which case the track bar will need an adjustment. Disregard if I misunderstood. As for the t-case drop, I'm not a big fan of these since it puts unnecessary strain on the engine mounts.

Tom

no biggie... I should have been more specific on what happened with the fron: it's the rear that went up by about an inch as I had to replace stock springs with AAL that started turning out to be S Shaped....

I know what you mean about the strain on the engine mounts, but it was well.... a cheap solution to a potentially big headache. In regards to the strain on the engine mounts, I must say that my engine mounts have survived about 110K miles with the last 60 or so with the t-case drop... ANd it the end what killed them was heat and rubber disintigrating (just all over) from old age and CA heat...

Kejtar

Back