• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Indy Jeepers

bigglew

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of a place I can take my Jeep for some front end service in the Indinanapolis area other than a dealership? I think I need CV joints. I am not sure if I want to tackle this project.

Thanx

There is a good write up www.madxj.com which shows what it takes to remove and replace the axle shafts. You will see from the site you bascially take apart every rotating component of the front axle. This would be a great time to reassemble with new hubs, new rotors, new pads, new/rebuilt calipers, new brake hoses.

I did not have use of a slide hammer and becaus of that I could not pull my hub out of the knuckle. I ended up going to my local garage and had them install my parts.

I mail ordered new front hubs, purchased the new u-joints at the local driveshaft shop and other stuff at the parts store.

I had use of an air impact gun to get the axle shaft nut off and had to have a buddy apply the brake as I broke torque and retorqued that nut. The book says this nut torque is 175 ft-lbs so you will need a long breaker bar if you plan to do this with human power.

You will also need to pick up an assortment of cotter pins to use when you reassemble.

It will be a good weekends work, take it slow, do it in a garage and have you XJ on jack stands and you can do it IF you can get the hub out of the knuckle.

Trucks In Action

There is 4wd shop somewher in Indy ( not sure of location ) that is called Trucks In Action. I see these guys at the jamboree every year they have huge trucks so the should be able to set you up.
Digger

There is a 4WheelParts Store at 9470 E Washington St. ... don't know if they do service work there or anything about them. They do sell parts though.

Changing the front axle joints are easy, especially if you have a garage to do them in. I used a gear puller to get the hubs off ... no problems at all. I paid a $100 bucks once to have the drivers side done ... never again. I'd sure as heck do it for that!

I agree with martin ... At least check your hubs while doing the axle joints. If there is any play in them, pay the bucks and change them. I'd also recommend doing both hubs if one of them is bad, the other is soon to follow.

Les

trucks n action is on the westside in gasoline alley off of rockville road and i think 4 wheel parts can do it.

I had a new clutch put in by Trucks N Action several years ago, only ended up keeping that truck another 2 years but it never gave me any problems. 4 Wheel Parts has put on shocks and a header for my 94 XJ, so far no complaints, but they weren't much cheaper than the dealership on the header. Sorry but no place else comes to mind. If you decide to try it yourself, I sure hope you have a heated garage, but the weather says it's supposed to be 50 up here on Friday so I might actually be able to change my oil. Best of luck.

Back