• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lug nut studs

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Are lug nut studs grade 8 or grade 5 and how do you tell, do they have the markings on the back side. We had a woman get a flat and when my son loosend the wheel to change it one of them was missing. I figured I'd pick one up and and pull it thru...

I've got a few loose ones around here somewhere but I didn't think they're graded that way. Let me go look and get back to you on that...

Who cares? They arwe what they are, aand when you buy a replacement it's the same.

Was the missing one really "missing," or was it just broken off? Many years ago when I was a counselor at a summer camp, the assistant director's wife had a flat. I was the only male nearby so I got volunteered to change it for her. This was on an old 1960's vintage (which wasn't all THAT old at the time) full-size Pontiac wagon, and out of five lugs two were sheared off. Just to make it more interesting, the two were adjacent.

I changed the tire, put the spare on VEWY VEWY CAWFUWY, and told her to drive it slowly and directly to the Pontiac dealer in town, not stopping for anything on the way other than red lights and stop signs.

One more reason why I never let air guns or shop "techs" near my tires and wheels. And why I ignore the so-called experts and use anti-sieze on my wheel lugs.

Eagle said:
This was on an old 1960's vintage (which wasn't all THAT old at the time) full-size Pontiac wagon, and out of five lugs two were sheared off. Just to make it more interesting, the two were adjacent.
That wasn't engineered with the brilliant idea of CW on one side of the vehicle, and CCW on the other was it? My buddy had an old Charger that was screwed up like that, and we almost tore off a lug before realizing the reason.

Also a good point on the lug - if they are graded it doesn't really matter since there's no other lug out there; you're not going to use a Grade 8 bolt after all.

Yucca-Man said:
That wasn't engineered with the brilliant idea of CW on one side of the vehicle, and CCW on the other was it? My buddy had an old Charger that was screwed up like that, and we almost tore off a lug before realizing the reason.
That was mostly Chrysler Corp vehicles, and I think maybe some of the very old Jeeps. AFAIK Ford never played that game, AMC didn't and I don't think Generous Motors did. But they WERE 7/16" studs instead of 1/2", on this monster wagon, which was one of GM's hallmarks. I didn't trust 7/16" studs on my full-size Cherokee, and that had six of 'em at each corner. The Pontiarc only had (or should have had) five.

Back