• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition/starter wire

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
What wire is the mom. power/ground to start the XJ's? 89 4.0 with auto. I think it's a green wire with dark green stripe but not sure. Looking to install a switch on the start position wire.

you're correct, it's a dark green wire. I just had to wire in a regular 4 pin relay to it because my start relay died.

power....I think. I just installed a push-button starter on mine and all I did was cut the green wire in question and hooked it to the button and ran a hot wire out of the fuse box to the button...It works great!

I just wired a 4 pin relay in because I was in NC and the start relay crapped.
One dark green wire comes from the ignition, and get's 12V when you turn the key, the other gives 12V to the starter. It's easy to identify the one that goes to the starter, it's in a wire loom heading that way.
For a while I started my truck with a jumper wire from the pos battery terminal to the green wire on the solenoid, ghetto trail fix.

hmm thats what I had planned on doing but there are about 6-8 green wires in the ignition area. Is it a bigger gauge maybe a 14? The is one darker green wire thats about that size. The rest are smaller 18 or so.

Back