• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Seeing a bunch of WJ's in the yard here too. Just goes to show which Jeeps are better :)

Just got back. Picked up a 4.7 power steering pump as well as a spare XJ reservoir. Figured if the 4.7 gives me issues, I can go back to the OEM since my pump is still good. While I was there they put 2 new ZJs and 1 new WJ on the lot.

PAP Nashville cant tell the difference between a 99 XJ and a 99WJ. Many times I have gone out there and thought "wow they have a lot of late model cherokees! Sweet!" only to find out they're all grands.

There's not a picture of it in inventory? LKQ has a single picture of every vehicle they have in their inventory.

There's not a picture of it in inventory? LKQ has a single picture of every vehicle they have in their inventory.

PAP and Express don't have any images of the vehicles. It's a surprise when you get there.

LKQ is the only one of the 4 in metro Nashville that does photos.

FB_IMG_1462549735730.jpg

Honestly PAP is the only one I've ever been to, and it's a trek from nolensville. I'm guessing express is probably closer, and it sounds like you guys like it?

From my place, Express in Lavergne is about 2 miles closer than going to the PAP up by Tune Airport. From Nolensville it will be much closer. I hit Nolensville Road, then take Burkett over I-24 until I get to Murfreesboro Road then head south.

I think LQK is my favorite yard for layout and cleanliness, up on Trinity, but the traffic getting up there sucks. Express is my second favorite (but a very, very close second). Music City Pull A Part used to rank higher, but they cut back half their inventory to put in a scrap metal area, so now there is less to chose from. I guess that leaves PAP #3 and Music City #4. Express always gets bonus points for having donated the XJ to NAXJA for the "Rusty Build" several years ago.

All 4 of them charge $2 to get in, but if you are a VIP member at PAP it is only $1. From what I can tell, from the pricing sheets I've collected, the pricing is pretty even across the board. I've never known Express or Music City to do any sort of 1/2 price day or customer appreciation day. LQK did a 1/2 price day back in January, and PAP is doing customer appreciation on May 18, I think, with free food from 11-1.

I've been to Queen City Salvage in Clarksville twice. It was fine. I went up the first time during Cash 4 Clunkers and scored big. It's not nice enough to make me drive to Clarksville though when I have 4 others within 20-30 minutes.

I tend to hit junkyards when I'm traveling, just as a diversion from the road. I've wandered yards in San Antonio, Iowa, Southern Mississippi, and a number of them in Memphis and Knoxville...off the top of my head.

CFC Recycling in Tullahoma, TN is a pretty nice yard. Very clean and well kept. They had a lot of older stuff too. They pretty much buy what people haul in.

I forgot about them. They were nice, but small. I don't remember a lot of inventory. The stuff they had though was quality. I remember a lot of old cars - like 60s and 70 stuff.

Kind of like going to a Bed and Breakfast instead of a 300 room Marriott.

Got the engine yanked out of the old '91 XJ I bought last year. Good lord that thing was a greasy, oily mess. I couldn't touch ANYTHING without getting nasty. Took the opportunity while the engine is out to pressure wash the engine bay and also the "new" engine that's going back in. Managed to destroy the O2 sensor while pulling the engine. Bummer! That'll add some cost I wasn't expecting.

Ordered the rest of the parts I'll need to install it this evening. Hopefully I'll have it back up and running sometime next week. Then it's time to do a little cutting on the body.

Got the engine yanked out of the old '91 XJ I bought last year. Good lord that thing was a greasy, oily mess. I couldn't touch ANYTHING without getting nasty. Took the opportunity while the engine is out to pressure wash the engine bay and also the "new" engine that's going back in. Managed to destroy the O2 sensor while pulling the engine. Bummer! That'll add some cost I wasn't expecting.

Ordered the rest of the parts I'll need to install it this evening. Hopefully I'll have it back up and running sometime next week. Then it's time to do a little cutting on the body.

What are you up to?

Back