• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango steering box or XJ box w/ hydro assist?

Dude... put down the vodka and...

• Total voters

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so my power steering box gave up the ghost. I wasn't really planning for it, so I'm really hoping to not have to change the pump. I was thinking... if I have to rebuild it, should I try to pick up a Durango box and rebuild that instead?

When I was doing research, I found that the larger box was actually worse w/ hydro assist (at least w/ the stock pump). So... now I'm stuck deciding if I want to rebuild my stock box and tap it for hydro assist (although I won't be installing the hydro assist for a while) or whether I should go get a Durango box and rebuild that instead.

I hope to be wheeling in just about everything but mud, but also driving to the trail and partaking in occasional high speed fun. I've got some brand new 35's, so I'll probably stick to those for a while.

So... what should I run?

Thanks =)

Billy

Buy a low mileage Durango unit, don't rebuild it and go wheeling.

Buy a low mileage Durango unit, don't rebuild it and go wheeling.

X2

Or get a A1 Cardone Power Steering Gear Box for Dodge Durango for around $200.

X2

Or get a A1 Cardone Power Steering Gear Box for Dodge Durango for around $200.

Yeah, that's what I did. Used the old saginaw box as a core.

If you go with the durango box, be prepared to do a little fab. I made plate to box in the frame rail with spacers on it to move the durango box out from the frame something around 3/4" IIRc. Big improvement though, turns the 33s with ease.

I picked up a Durango box and rebuilt it, along with porting it. I am also adding hydro assist. The problem I find isn't so much the box, but the stress put on the steering components when flexed out. I can easily bend my very heavy steering. The hydro assist puts the force inline with the components instead of acting from an angle.

If I had to do only one, I would do the hydro assist.

If you go with the durango box, be prepared to do a little fab. I made plate to box in the frame rail with spacers on it to move the durango box out from the frame something around 3/4" IIRc. Big improvement though, turns the 33s with ease.

I did see that. I haven't made the spacers for my steering box brace anyway, so it'll be no problem.
Thanks,
Billy

I picked up a Durango box and rebuilt it, along with porting it. I am also adding hydro assist. The problem I find isn't so much the box, but the stress put on the steering components when flexed out. I can easily bend my very heavy steering. The hydro assist puts the force inline with the components instead of acting from an angle.

If I had to do only one, I would do the hydro assist.

The only reason I was limiting my choices to one or the other is because I heard that the XJ box was better for hydro assist.

I read that the Durango box and hydro assist would be slower with the stock PS pump than the XJ box and hydro assist. Is that not the case? Are you going to run the stock PS pump?

Thanks,
Billy

what year durango does it come out of. and what lift are yall running cause i have 4" now and i was told if i go any higher i will start tearing up my box?

what year durango does it come out of. and what lift are yall running cause i have 4" now and i was told if i go any higher i will start tearing up my box?

'99 (and only '99). It's the mounting location that you really have to worry about and it's more to do with tire size than lift height.

This upgrade is more for being able to turn big, aired down tires, in the rocks... although the hydro assist takes a ton of stress off the box mounting location as well.

Billy

I'm running a PSC xj box and high output PSC pump in my 95, turns my 33's great..... also cheaper than a stock replacement and slightly stronger.. also no matter what you do I would recomend bracing the steering box, as I found that all 3 mounting tabs on mine were cracked. Just my 2cents worth though... :D

I do run hydro assist with a small bore Saginaw and love it. Ii think just a good box can feel better on the road, and not be as "wandery".

Back