• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fly by wire???....huh?

"fly by wire" is a term used for newer vehicles such as any new Heli, or the new JK wrangler with the 3.8 liter motor. the throttle body is controled by a motor with the input from a sensor at the gas pedal. thus the wire is basically your new throttle cable per say. you have basically eliminated the throttle linkage and cable from the intake. the yahoo thing was unavail;able, so I could not read what he wrote, but this is what fly by wire is in todays autos.

Applies to our Liberty, still called Cherokee overseas.

Drive by Wire is the term they using for the same sort of system in cars. Computers in cars are becoming increasingly sophisticated. Computer controlled throttle, ABS, suspension, traction control, shifting, and the list goes on.

At some point, it will be hard to find a car that operates manually.

1987? The guy's on drugs. Your basic PC could just barely add two numbers together and get the right answer in 87' ;)

-Ron

He may be talking about the Grand Cherokee (common dummy mistake to call a Grand Cherokee a Cherokee) or he may be refering to the Liberty, which is still called a Cherokee in Europe...becuase those damned Europeeeons don't like our term Liberty!

I hate a non cable throttle, I feel a delay on everyone I have driven.

~James

Not sure how you would. Its faster then the human can think.

He may be talking about the Grand Cherokee (common dummy mistake to call a Grand Cherokee a Cherokee) or he may be refering to the Liberty, which is still called a Cherokee in Europe...becuase those damned Europeeeons don't like our term Liberty!

Can you blame them? WE don't like our liberty lol..

he throttle body is controled by a motor

The DC motors are just not fast enough.

Actually, it's called a servo ;)

A regular motor, be it AC or DC does not run in position mode. Meaning that it's position cannot be controlled. If you supply AC voltage to an AC motor (or DC voltage to a DC motor) , the motor will start rotating. When you remove the voltage , the motor will stop. But the exact point at which it will stop cannot be controlled.

A servomotor (servo) is an electromechanical device, in which an electrical input determines the position of the armature of a motor. Input to a servomotor is in the form of pulses, and at every pulse , the motor will turn by a finite, exact amount.

If you've ever used a radio controlled plane or car, they use them all the time. Just like cable controlled throttle bodies, you CAN do certain things to adjust them or tune them to exactly how you like. But this may take a lot more money and expensive chips to do.

There's your fun facts for the day :)

Good explanation on the servo, they do work differently in that aspect, but no matter what they will not feel like having a cable. They also now program into the PCM a strategy to control the reaction time.

Why would a car maker not use a cable ? why make it harded to fix And what if the system fails ? IS There a backup the wire ?
Oh my, we're on a forum full of gear heads and this is still new to people? My 5 year old Volkswagen even has this technology. It is actually a bit laggy on it but is better than stock once I tinkered with the computer a bit. I think its nice because it puts a bunch of things all into one servo controlled throttle body. Built into it are; cruise control, idle motor no longer existst, traction control, no throttle position sensor...theres alot of good to be had with it.

Back