• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

popping 242

radardog

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if it is normal for a 242 to stick in 4wd, when you shift it back to 2wd?

the story.

i backed my 87 xj out of my yard, and up a semi steep hill covered in pea gravel, so i locked it into 4x so i wouldnt spit my roomie gravel all over the place.

when i got it onto the pavement, i stopped, put tranny in nuetral, and shifted the t-case into 2wd.

i then shifted into drive and executed a very sharp turn to get the truck onto my trailer and it was popping rather violently as though it was still in 4wd...

i am a jeep newb, so cut me a little slack please.

also, if it is popping really bad like it was what are the chances my chain/ sprockets are shot?

are there any good beefy junk yard replacements that slip right in?

242 are tricky you have to be rolling foward while shifting back to 2 wheel drive.
Back when I first got my jeep I was ready to pull the transfer case.
Then someone on the board told me this. I went out side and drove stright, put trans in neutral and then shifted back to two wheel drive. It worked great. Now
I Just Know I have to be rolling to shift back to 2 wheel drive.

Ya i used to have a 231 and it shifted whenever and however i wanted, I recently put n a 242 and it is totally different, like stated you have to be rolling, the only 4wd I can get to without rolling is 4lo for some reason it goes in when i am stopped in neutral with no problems.

Just like the old Quadra Tracs lol. Well this helped me with my problem as well. Any specific speeds you pop it back into 2wd? I know with the QT they say you have to be coasting around 5mph

I think you guys are talking about 4-Lo. I use my 242 on the highway in winter and to shift to or from full-time 4-Hi, I just slow down to about 35-40 m.p.h.

Timber said:
I think you guys are talking about 4-Lo. I use my 242 on the highway in winter and to shift to or from full-time 4-Hi, I just slow down to about 35-40 m.p.h.

Exactly... the OP was stopped when he put it in 2wd and all of the other posts are telling him that he needs to be moving forward when going from 4wd into 2wd... just like you are doing on the freeway :)

I was having a horrible time with my 242, in terms of getting in and out of Fulltime. I looked and read and came up with all sorts of wacky ideas what my problem was. I got ready to throw a bunch of money and the problem, but the problem could be fixed for free. I didn't belive it when I read it but I tried it anyway. Since then I havn't had any problems and it shifts in and out of Fulltime with no prob. The free fix: equal air pressure. My front tires had 2psi more than the rear. I topped off the rear and han't had a prob since. I know you probably don't think it could make a difference, neither did I, but I would suggest checking the pressure in all of your tires before you do anything else. Good Luck, James

thanks for all the replys guys.

when i get around to driving it again i will try the rolling thing, as it seems to be a common theme.

the air pressure makes perfect sense to me actually, but so does rolling out of 4lo into 2wd.

it seemed that after i backed it up off of the trailer the popping stopped, so all i can do is hope i didnt jack up the t-case, and try it again here when i am done with the build... write up on that is soon to begin by the way.

the geared clutch inside is slipping. the case could be worn out, or there is a different load on both output shafts (such as different front/rear tire sizes or gear ratios) that is causing the slip, and putting the tc in neutral disengages everything, and releases the bind. floor your gas pedal and try to shift into fulltime. it will not engage. let off the pedal while moving, and it will, and the full time light will come on. any load in the case will basically keep the gears meshed together, preventing a gear change under load, which would destroy the gears.

Back