• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Headlights??

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Strange one tonight, I pulled my headlight switch to turn on my lights, and nothing? The dash lights, and running lights are on, and I can pull back the lever and the flash brights work. So I get out my manual and look for a fuse, and I don't see anything?

Is there a relay somewhere?
I push and pull the switch and after a bunch of tries, the light finally comes on. When I get home, I turn them on and off again, and they work fine ;-(

Any thought what might be a issue?

Thanks,
Bob

Either a bad switch, or you managed to blow out both low beam filaments at the same time. Before you pull the switch (which is relatively easy, but can be unnecessary work) pull the socket on one of the headlamps, turn the switch on, and check for voltage there. If you get +12VDC on the dip beam contacts, repalce the lamps instead (sorry, but I don't recall which is which offhand. You should have wiring diagrams handy tho - if not in an FSM, at least in a Chilton's...)

Mine had the same problem, replaced dimmer switch, nothing. It ended up being the connector (behind L headlight) between the body harness and the front lighting harness, I cleaned the connector and it worked. I don't know how the headlight switch itself works (as in brights/dims being separate), but I didn't even check it as the brights never worked with the headlights not being on. If you want a brand new dimmer switch, come and get it I dont need it :D

x2 on checking for low-beam voltage first, otherwise you are chasing your own tail.

Mine had the same problem, replaced dimmer switch, nothing. It ended up being the connector (behind L headlight) between the body harness and the front lighting harness, I cleaned the connector and it worked. I don't know how the headlight switch itself works (as in brights/dims being separate), but I didn't even check it as the brights never worked with the headlights not being on. If you want a brand new dimmer switch, come and get it I dont need it :D

Hm - interesting. I find emery boards very useful for cleaning contacts like that, tho.

If he doesn't take that dimmer, I'll take it off your hands for postage (if you want.) I'll put it in the Parts Exchange...

I used a toothbrush sized wire brush, and contact cleaner to clean the connnectors. It worked but they are not easy to clean.

I used a toothbrush sized wire brush, and contact cleaner to clean the connnectors. It worked but they are not easy to clean.

For the really bad stuff, yeah.

For typical flat connectors, I'll just use a pencil eraser.

For the female version of the connectors, I trim an emery board down to fit (a shade less than 1/4") and slip it in and out a couple of times. Much faster than the brass toothbrush (yah, I've used that a few times as well.)

Thanks for all responses.

Went out again today, and of course, everything worked fine.....

Turn them on and off a bunch of times, and everything is perfect. Just so you know, the lights ( high and low) work, dimmer and interior lights work. The only thing that happened before, is the low beams would not come on.

Maybe it is a dirty connector. I might switch out the head light switch, so I can get a illuminated interior light at the switch......

Any other thoughts would be great. I plan on driving down to California on Thursday, then back down for Father's day, and I would like to take the XJ.

Thanks,
Bob

Thanks for all responses.

Went out again today, and of course, everything worked fine.....

Turn them on and off a bunch of times, and everything is perfect. Just so you know, the lights ( high and low) work, dimmer and interior lights work. The only thing that happened before, is the low beams would not come on.

Maybe it is a dirty connector. I might switch out the head light switch, so I can get a illuminated interior light at the switch......

Any other thoughts would be great. I plan on driving down to California on Thursday, then back down for Father's day, and I would like to take the XJ.

Thanks,
Bob

Turn on the dip beams.
Fiddle with the wiring at the combination switch (atop the column, down by the firewall, just to the left of centre) while someone watches the headlamps.

If it's a loose or burned connexion down there, you'll probably find it that way.

OK, so the large connector down by the firewall?
It is dark right now, so I will go try it against the garage wall and see if I can see it.
Thanks,
Bob

It will be on the same side as the stalk - there are two switches down there, and the other one is the electrical part of the ignition switch.

Back