• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trottle problems

wrench22

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with an automatic trans. The problem im having is that it does'nt want to accelerate above 2000 rpm. when i try to get it above that point it starts to flood out and backfire, but otherwise runs perfect at lower rpms. It started when i was on the freeway, started to slow down to the point that i had to pull off the intersection and then it finally died, i tried to start it again with no luck, figured out that my neg. battery cable had came loose and fell off. put it back on and it started just fine, thats when the acceleration problem started. I had a check engine light on so i took it to autozone and had a code reader pull up,

1. lean #1 cylinder
2. lean #2 cylinder
3. torque converter clutch valve open

I cant tell if it is having an effect on the trans. due to not being able to accelerate beyond 2000 rpm. The parts that i have replaced so far are the TPS and CPS and it didnt change anything, also traced all of the wires to see if i had a short, and did the wiggle test and came up with nothing. any ideas what gremlin im dealing with?? I tried the search to see if i could find anything and havent come up with anything yet.

I would think that or bad O2 sensors... but I don't know how it would detect a lean condition per cylinder with out a misfire. Could bank one or two.. that is why I asked for the exact codes, not the counter boy's translation.

Im not sure about the exact codes as far as the p code, but i did get to look at the scanner and it did say lean #1 and #2 cylinders. I haven't had the chance to oull the plugs yet, had to go out of town. I'll check them when i get back, but i am curious if a blown head gasket would still let it run good up to the 2000 rpm point that it starts cutting out at? I do remember smelling antifreeze, but it wasnt getting hot and i couldnt find a leak of any kind.

I think the lean error cored you see are bank one and bank two, not cylinders. I am unable to find a P code for the 4.0L that indicates specific cylinders going lean, which makes sense because there isn't a O2 sensor on each cylinder. Its always better to get a P code instead of what relying on what the counter jerky says.

Anyhow, it is saying that at some point all of your cylinders went lean. Start by checking fuel pressure.

I know that this kind of contradicts the codes, but you need to check your spark plugs. What if they got fouled out with the battery connection issue? Also, you have a 2000 (with the notorious cracking head tendency), so keep a close eye on your coolant usage and check your oil filler cap for milky residue on the bottom of it.

Back