• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reiter Trails: News article

Yeah, we knew this was coming. Hopefully the cooperative attitude and willingness to volunteer over the years will get us s fair shake here. It's hard to see most of the mainline trails being closed down, we already knew the May Creek/Lake Isabel area was on the chopping block thanks to the Wild Sky "Wilderness" B.S.

All we can do is embrace the agencies involved and continue to advocate positively for our sport.

Just another reason to wheel it wile you can. TOD will be closed as will all the trails past may creak.

I look at this from a slightly different view point.
1. The fact that we have been able to get DNR funding and attention to consider making this area more formal is impressive.
2. The reason that some of these areas are being closed has to do with the protection of the water shed, streams, wildlife, etc. If people weren't out driving anywhere they pleased and stayed on obviouse trails then we wouldn't have as much issue with negative publicity.
3. We should recognize that all of the attention that has been put into this area is all in order to create a more formal ORV area for multi use that will provide trails that we want, a safe place for families, and less issues for the local surrounding community. If we have to loose a few trails that should or should not really be there to start with it isn't that big of a loss and is likely better for the greater good of the area.
4. I believe that if we can prove to the community, polititions, DNR, etc that we can use this land responsibly then we have a good chance of this area becoming a much better ORV area than it has been in the past.

Just my opinion,
Michael

We are going to loose a lot of trails. Not just a few. Some of these were the first trails up there. Not sure how many of you know Reiter like some of us. Some of these area's we don't evan show to people we have wheeled with several times due to people being stupid. It will be a sad day when it comes time to close these trails.

Well after reading the article, the one thing that really stands out to me is that they said motorized vehicles will likely get the "south" end of the area. The impression I get from that is the "bunny slopes" of the trails. Maybe I don't know Reiter all that well, but I do know a good number of trails aren't around the lower parking lot I BELIEVE they were reffering to.

It sucks this is happening, but I guess it's all the more reason to wheel it while we can. And hopefully they won't close too many trails, especially the ones in the upper pid region like Rhino land, BYS, etc. (I expect the wall trail will be closed though, although it is a cool trail)

~Scott

More trails than you know Scott and yes they are legal. A little hard to see from the road but these are not on the other side of may creek. NWW and other sites has said the same. You will be able to drive to may creek but not cross it. So any one going to be there this weekend?

I might be there this weekend if I finish my rig. It's my b-day Saturday. :)

~Scott

So you and the Ba-Riedo boy. :party:My rig is down waiting on front gears set up.

Some of these area's we don't evan show to people we have wheeled with several times due to people being stupid.

Are you serious? Why not lead by example? I tend to agree with 2extreme on this one. I see this as an opportunity to prove ourselves as responsible users of our natural resources.

That is why I dont show people these spots or go there when Reiter is packed with people. Side trails unused and legal. I have taken people there that are responsible wheelers but I have heard that if these trails are used and abused they to will be closed. Most people know that when wheelin with me it is responsible and trash pick ups are done on every trail run. I lead by what I do

I thought I would add this to the "blog".

Several weeks ago we launched our campaign to emphasize education and enforcement at Reiter Foothills. I’d like to give you and update on what has happened since May 3 and let you know what’s coming up at Reiter.

Update on Reiter

Last weekend (May 9-10), we continued our focus on enforcing general rules and regulations and educating visitors about upcoming changes in Reiter Foothills. For the most part, everyone was well behaved. Enforcement and education officers from DNR, with the assistance of Snohomish County Sheriff’s office, made contact with 100 visitors, issued 4 citations, removed 2 undesirable guests, and educated 6 4x4-vehicle riders about day-use only hours.

We have had several calls regarding these changes, and most recreationists are supportive of the improvements in the area.

Many of you may have read Debra Smith’s article about Reiter in the Everett Herald from May 12. (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090512/NEWS01/705129872) While the article painted a realistic picture of what’s going on at Reiter, we do want to clear up one sentence:

“Officials also no longer want people in the area after sunset.”

That statement is incorrect. The area is closed to motorized use after sunset with the exception of two areas where overnight camping is allowed as spelled out below.

Reiter reminders:

- Camping is allowed in two temporarily designated areas in the gravel pit and the upper staging area.

- Sani-cans have been installed in the designated temporary camping areas.

- The gate to DNR’s May Creek Mainline Road will be permanently closed to street vehicles.

- Off-road use is limited to daylight hours only.

- Officers and DNR staff will be Issuing citations instead of warnings for illegal activities.

Thank you, volunteers, and partners!

We really appreciate all the hard work from our partners and volunteers. Together we can all make Reiter Foothills safe, healthy, and fun!

If you have any questions or comments about Reiter, please contact me.

Candace Johnson
Assistant Region Manager, State Lands
Northwest Region
Washington State Department of Natural Resources
(360) 854-2803

Another Update:

Future Recreation at Reiter Foothills

The Reiter Foothills Recreation advisory committee has completed its work. DNR is now beginning work on internal review and development of a draft recreation plan for the area. We hope to have that plan ready for public input and SEPA review late this summer.

This Week at Reiter – Important Changes

In the meantime, we are continuing work on interim measures that are consistent with the draft planning concepts. This weekend, we will begin closing some of the off-road vehicle trails in Reiter Foothills. The measures are necessary to reduce the loss of fish habitat and to protect downstream water quality.

ORV riding will still be allowed in many areas, specifically in places that are being considered as potential riding areas under the recreation plan for Reiter due out this summer.

Effective June 19, all trails north of May Creek and south of the Deer Creek crossings will be closed.

Effective July 15, all trails in a small area north and west of Hogarty Creek will be closed.

For a map of the area and the trails to be closed, go to: www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_rec_reiter_interim_strategies_map06-09.pdf

Closed trails will be clearly marked with signs. We appreciate anything you can do to help us communicate this message. Please forward this e-mail to your friends and recreation colleagues.

My staff and I are committed to working with local user groups to transition the Reiter area from an unsanctioned recreational facility to a sanctioned facility that meets environmental standards and provides users with a safe, enjoyable, and sustainable recreational experience. DNR is working with various partners to identify high-priority restoration projects that can be done in the next few months to address environmental damage in the area. DNR will be working with user groups and volunteers to sponsor work parties to help manage the area and protect resources. Please contact David Way at (360) 854-2830 for more information and dates of upcoming volunteer events.

Thanks!

Candace Johnson
Assistant Region Manager, State Lands
Northwest Region
Washington State Department of Natural Resources
(360) 854-2803

Sanctioned area means more patrols and tickets given out to stupid people destroying the area. There's a big argument for the whole place being shut down so I say if they need to shut down some trails to keep it open then that's o.k. Hopefully new trails will be opened and maintained like they are in Naches.
It takes time but it does happen.
Going out Saturday with the new map from DNR. Sounds like closed trails will be well marked.

I haven't been to a DNR meeting in a while... I'm wondering if they might open some of the water crossing areas back up in the future with culverts installed as they have in Walker Valley. I do know that positive input is the best path to getting things done. Volunteer hours = consideration of requests.

Back