• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibs after TC drop

Mutant_Xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a skyjacker TC drop with the linkage drop also. Now when I put it into reverse I'm getting vibs when the brakes are on and it's sitting still or moving slowly. It's almost like a grinding but not, I don't know how to describe it. I didn't notice anything like that prior to the install and it happens when I'm sitting still idling so I wouldn't think it's from the driveshaft.

I'm at 3" lift and am going to 4.5" soon. Thats why I installed it. I adjusted the TC linkage by putting the TC in 4lo and adjust the lever to 4lo. I don't have any instructions but have read on here the basics of a home made TC drop. I never read anything addressing the linkage drop but thought that was actually a good idea. I know you have to adjust the TC linkage which I did, hopefully the right way. Is there anything else I need to adjust with the tranny? It's a 93 auto with the 97+ shifter done like Gojeep's write up. I dont know if there's any way it couldn't be shifting into reverse correctly or I could adjust something to make sure.

TIA
Damien

Don't know about a linkage "drop", but I do know that adjusting the linkage is necessary after a T-case drop. You've got the procedure almost right. Pull the bezel from the TC shifter. Shift into 4-low and put a 1/8" spacer of some sort between the shift lever and the back of the shift gate. Hold the lever there (tape, rope, buddy, etc.), then adjust the shift linkage. Tighten it up and you're done.

I did the skyjacker TC drop and adjusted linkage without any problems. I've just taken the TC drop out (got an SYE and new driveshaft) and re-adjusted the linkage. Seems to be working properly.

Have you got a transfercase skid at all? Did you lower that the same amount at the frame end to stop it rubbing on the case? Also need to add 2* shim to raise your pinion up to match the change of angle the drop gave to the top uni.

I had a DPG style skid but took it off, but I know what your talking about. I should have shims comming in soon. I don't think it would be from the lack of shims because it does it when its not moving. The shims would fix the drive shaft angles and if the drive shaft isn't moving it shouldn't create vibs, right?
The vibs are now when it's in gear and the breaks are on. If I let off the brake and start to coast it dies down and if I give it some gas it goes away. I just did the plugs, wires,rotor and cap, yesterday. I'm hoping I can get under it tomorrow if it doesn't rain and change the fluids. After that I'm going to go for new motor and trans mounts, Then in a few months hopefully I can get a SYE. I'm just worried about hurting the drivetrain until I can get the SYE. Maybe I should skip the motor and trans mounts and do the SYE first. I just don't have time to run out to the JY for a new front drive shaft.

Nothing to do with angles then so something is now touching that was not before. Look right along the exhaust system too to make sure it all clears. Even some times the bottom of the fan can touch the shroud due to the tilt.

I have a similar problem, 3" lift, 1/2" T/C drop, shimmed pinion, angles are good. get a vibe/grinding only when i am at a stop and making a right or left turn. doesn't do it in a parking lot making sweeping turns. or in a straight line stop and go situation. no vibes at any speed in straight line. T/C not touching skid.

Back