• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end sag?

suprz

NAXJA Forum User
I was just noticing my cherokee's back end (or should i say "my wife's cherokee) seeing how she has taken it over and made me look for a wrangler.... anyways, do the rear end on these cherokees usually sag over time? it isnt really bad, but i noticed it and it did come with a tow hitch so i'n assuming the previous owner used it for towing. ALSO i hav noticed a "bump" from the rear dif when taking off from a stop, no noise, just a bump like there is slack in he gears and when you hit the gas it engages tight and bumps, I have been told the diff's arent the best in the cherokees so am i looking at trouble down the road?

cherokee leafs sag, it just happens over time (i've changed 3 sets of leafs in 2 out of the 4 xjs i've owned (and possibly going for 3 lol). about the bump... i have no idea, closest thing i had was play in engaging but thats because my driveshaft u joint was going but it made a clank sound.

suprz said:
I was just noticing my cherokee's back end (or should i say "my wife's cherokee) seeing how she has taken it over and made me look for a wrangler.... anyways, do the rear end on these cherokees usually sag over time? it isnt really bad, but i noticed it and it did come with a tow hitch so i'n assuming the previous owner used it for towing. ALSO i hav noticed a "bump" from the rear dif when taking off from a stop, no noise, just a bump like there is slack in he gears and when you hit the gas it engages tight and bumps, I have been told the diff's arent the best in the cherokees so am i looking at trouble down the road?

The XJ leaf springs do sag over time. On my 2000 XJ when I added a hitch and gas tank skid. I notice that the rear end did drop. Since my XJ came from the factory without the tow pkg. The stock springs were not rated for a hitch. So I replaced my springs with the Up Country set. Not only did it get rid of the sag it added an inch in lift.

I have a 1988 Pioneer no tow package, and its arching upwards, but it still looks stock. Front and rear have only sagged 1.5" acording to the hub to fender test. I saw a '99 XJ today and it was sagging bad, maybe a 1" left till the tire rubbed the wheel well. Maybe I have the HD Leaf Packs, but a '99 sagging that bad was outrageous.

For the bump, I'd guess at the U-Joints. You could probably check crawl underneath and check for excessive play in the U-Joints. My Mustang does the something similar, but mine happens when it comes off of load for instance when I disengage the clutch while coming to a stop. Fortunately, for me, I'm taking a power trains class at school this term, so I get to do my clutch and U-joints for the cost of parts and be able to do it on a lift instead of jack stands :D I'm so spoiled!

-Pat

XJoshua said:
I have a 1988 Pioneer no tow package, and its arching upwards, but it still looks stock. Front and rear have only sagged 1.5" acording to the hub to fender test. I saw a '99 XJ today and it was sagging bad, maybe a 1" left till the tire rubbed the wheel well. Maybe I have the HD Leaf Packs, but a '99 sagging that bad was outrageous.

Yeah, I have seen some really bad rear ends on some 98 and 99's. Most of them had added hitches. I really think that adding a hitch and using it on non tow pkg springs. Speeds up the sag. Below is a few pic on my XJ before new springs.

Stock Springs. Rear tire is close to fender. This is not as bad as it got after towing.
Picture068.jpg

With Up Country Set Up. XJ is 1.5 inches taller than when purchased.
Picture091.jpg

Back