• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with 99 intake swap?

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are tonnes of threads on this subject but they don't answer all of my questions. i have a 91 xj and want to know exactly what new parts i need for this swap. I have the whole doner 99 so i can take whatever i need from it. so far from the other threads i have read that i need:

obviously the new intake
use my old throttle body
some 99 vac lines and sensors
some old vac lines and sensors
power steering pump bracket
can i use the old power steering pump?
the new bracket has the idler pulley on it(does that mean i delete my old idler pulley?)
use new injectors with some modification
what serpentine belt will work with all this?
anything else?

thanks guys, i'm doing this swap this weekend and don't want to be without any parts.:cheers:

you can use the old PS pump, but you want the new bracket, you will need to shim it for the new pump to fit just right, but you gain the better belt adjustment.

You can use your old injectors, and the old fuel rail. There is no need to switch to the new style. I would recommend an upgrade to 19 or 21 lb injectors with the multiple holes in the pintle cap.

when you change to the new pulley setup, follow the 97+ belt routing. Using the 97+ belt. Any other setup and you will have to get creative with the belt length.

Easy swap and well worth it. You May need to get a tree for some of the vacuum lines. Just make sure the map and the Fuel Pressure Reg are on their own dedicated line.

i thought there was an advantage to using the newer injectors? and what is the deal? does the new bracket have the idler pulley on it? thanks for the help

the new bracket does mount the idler pulley, it functions as the tensioner as well.

FMS and LT1 injectors have more holes. They are your factory injector style and I would personally stick with the shorter style bosch injector. I think you can run the taller ones, but it does not really matter.

well, i'm not buying new injectors just yet, but the only reason i was going to swap in the 99 injectors is because on gojeep's write up he did and it seems that he thought the newer style injectors were better. but if they are not then i will just stick with the ones i have in it now.

you can use the old PS pump, but you want the new bracket, you will need to shim it for the new pump to fit just right, but you gain the better belt adjustment.
what do you mean? you can use the new bracket with the old pump without any modifications but to get the new bracket to work with the new pump you have to shim it?

well, i'm not buying new injectors just yet, but the only reason i was going to swap in the 99 injectors is because on gojeep's write up he did and it seems that he thought the newer style injectors were better. but if they are not then i will just stick with the ones i have in it now.
I bought a set of used ford 5.0 injectors off e-bay for $20. It is worth the effort, better throttle response, a slight increase in mileage and more seat of the pants feel.

what do you mean? you can use the new bracket with the old pump without any modifications but to get the new bracket to work with the new pump you have to shim it?

I think the new pumps are a shade thinner then the old style. so you need a few washers or a plate to sit behind the pump in order to get it to sit out far enough for the belt to line up just right. Or at least I did.

i'm going to be doing this on my stroker. all i have is the 99 + intake, all i have is the older parts. how could i make this work?

sorry to steal your thread. just need some quick info.

Back