• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE bushings

thethinginthewoods

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is clunking up front whenever I hit minor bumps and stuff on the road. It feels like it is right under the driver's side foot area, so I assume it is coming from worn control arm bushings. I have replaced the unit bearings/hub assembly on both sides, brand new performance shocks with polyurethane bushings, new u-joint with grease, and everything is tight. It seems to get worse when i turn to the left at speed, because the weight shifts to the right. I want to replace all of the control arm bushings to try and solve this mystery. I have a 5.5 RE extreme duty lift and I need to know if the control arm bushings RE sells (they say factory replacement on most websites, including they're own) are designed for they're own aftermarket control arms. According to many websites, the uppers are smaller than the lowers. I know this seems like a retarded question, but I don't want to spend that much and not have them fit. Any help would be appreciated and would help solve an ancient mystery!

:dunno:

if its short arm...i would tighten the upper control arm bolt

Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention it is just the extreme duty. None of that long arm mumbo jumbo.

I will see about getting some pics soon. I also noticed a little clip that bolts onto the spring perch that looks like it holds the end of the coil spring to the mounting pad. Conveniently, I am missing the driver's side, but i snagged a replacement from the boneyard a while back but my bolt hole is a little too worn and it just falls out. Until I find a bigger bolt, I am wondering if the clunking could just be the chatter of the coil spring bouncing on the pad, although with that much weight on it, I doubt it.

I now I'm not that new here (member wise: yes!), but you work with John (Avanteone), right?

Oh sweet, that's what i thought. I was just there today to pick up my D44 Aussie I ordered, but it hadn't shown up yet. John said he would call when it comes in and then I'll bring the pile on down too.

My rig has the same clunking sound, Brian. I purchased the newer bushings from RE, but now that Eli posts it up...its very possible that Ryans set-up (now mine) requires the older style bushings. Ill have to check on that tommorrow...

-Lyle

Yeah, I'm still kinda confused on what bushings will fit where, but It's been making that noise since I bought it in '07, so I'm not in a major rush to fix it. It just annoys the crap outta me.

hey "thethinginthewoods" we both live on Lake Tapps, maybe we could meet up. My jeep is making the same noise. Let me know

I spent a little while trying to track the clunk in qeution I replaced all the tie rod ends and the tie ride but it came down to the track bar being the problem for me.

I just fixed my Dad's '99 WJ with the same problem. Like BigDog said, check your sway bar. The problem with my Dad's was a bad bushing in the driver side sway bar end link. It made a terrible clunking sound when driving. It didn't even look that bad visually. I replaced them all around and the clunking went away completely. It might be worth a look to rule it out at least.

I just fixed my Dad's '99 WJ with the same problem. Like BigDog said, check your sway bar. The problem with my Dad's was a bad bushing in the driver side sway bar end link. It made a terrible clunking sound when driving. It didn't even look that bad visually. I replaced them all around and the clunking went away completely. It might be worth a look to rule it out at least.

I would, but I have never had a sway bar or links on since I've owned it!
I like to see how fast i can go around corners before puttin' er up on two!

I spent a little while trying to track the clunk in qeution I replaced all the tie rod ends and the tie ride but it came down to the track bar being the problem for me.

Before I decide to replace all the CA bushings, I thinks I'm gonna give the track bar a really good once over and maybe adjust it to see if that helps.

Before I decide to replace all the CA bushings, I thinks I'm gonna give the track bar a really good once over and maybe adjust it to see if that helps.
Easy way to tell is have someone get in while its running and turn the wheel back and fosth a few time, watch the track bar where it mounts to the frame and if you see the frame moving more then that then you better get a new one. They don't cost that much and they are (from what I have heard) comon to go bad and you don't want that thing breaking thats for sure.

Even easier to check while it's moving. 25-30 MPH does nicely at helping diagnose a front end problem. Let me know when you're using this method, I'd like to swing on by :)

Back