• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recaro Seats in my XJ

durfee

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought my XJ a 2 weeks ago, 1999 Forest Green, 4.0 4x4 5 speed. Since the 5 speed was my requirement and the reason i did not go with a WJ or ZJ, i wanted some nice seats. I also just sold my Audi and the stock jeep seats are crap.

So i was going to go with WJ seats, but i did see any i truly liked. so i started to scour eBay and found a set of Recaro Seats out of a ION Redline. they were at a junk yard close by so I Bid $350 and won them last sunday.

First off I could not find any write ups that made me feel good about the swap. there is a reason for that. These seats are wide. almost to wide to fit, but clearancing with a 3lb sledge did the trick just fine.

I tried a bunch of fitment options. The saturn slides are integrated into the seat base so removing them was not a viable option. when i had tried both sliders the seat was to tall and at an awkward angle. so I took apart the factory slider and removed the brackets that are welded to it.

then i took flat stock and square stock to make my own brackets to fit the width of the new seats, drilled a couple holes. added a couple spacers. and Viola, a Cherokee Sport that has a bit of sport in it.(well looks at least)

I love the way these seat hold you in place, they are a very comfortable and firm seat. the higher angle for the knee helps reduce fatigue.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/100_1729.JPG
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/100_1734.JPG
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data...m/100_1733.JPG

Looks pretty good, from the pics they seem to be a fairly close match to your interior.

How do they fit as far as left/right orientation to the steering wheel and pedals? What was the effect on headroom? How about fore and aft adjustment? Are the mounts nice and solid?

Doug

Wheres the rest of your stock mount(front half)?

I had to remove the factory sliders.
1.The other mount is there but not in the photo i did not get a very good pic.
2. The seats are centered perfectly.
3.sliding the drivers seat is a bit tough due to the Transfercase hump. i had to beat it pretty hard with a bfh to get the seat to fit right.
4.The mounts are rock solid.
5.Head room is still plenty for over 6', due to the way the seat has a firm leg support actually increased leg room.
6. i got the whole set front and rear seats for 350 off ebay LKQonline.

One of these days I'm gonna get a nice seat and burn the old one(they've been buggin me over the course of 15 years and 4 xjs).

I running a pair of Recaro seats from a Mitubishi Evo 8. I could unbolt the sliders from those so just used the Jeep sliders un-modified. Made an adaptor between that and the seat mounts.

Those looks fantastic man. One of the best seat swaps so far. I will be swapping mine with something as soon as I get back to the states.

~James

As for my Audi I just Sold my 2005 A4 Ultra Sport 1.8t quattro 6 sp, for that I had a 2001 A4 1.8t quattro 5 speed. befor that i had a couple DSMs before that I had a 1997 ZJ, and then before that i had 1995 YJ. but my first jeep was a 1990 YJ that I swapped a 4.3 into with the AX-5 with all sort of mods.

Looks good. I've been wanting to put some Recaros in my Jeep, although I don't really know what cars would be a good option to find them in.

I know this is an old tread, but if you're still around can you post up some pics of the way you mounted the front of the seats? I picked up a set of SRT-4 seats the other night which mount similiar to those Recaro seats. I'm trying to explore my options for mounting the seats up before I jump into the project.

WOW $350 for those! What a steal!

Back