• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission stuck in engine

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi my friend has a 2004 wrangler rubicon and his transmission is stuck in the engine. He took the transmission out and replaced his clutch and put the friction disk in backwards. He got the transmission all together and reassembled and realized he put the disk in backwards. He realized this because when he started the jeep it made a loud squeeling noise and he shut it off. Now he has it all apart again but can't get the transmission to fully seperate from the engine. It is about an inch and a half out and it won't come out any further. He has tried everything to get it apart including pulling it with a come-along. The transfercase is also removed. Any other ideas would be greatly apreciated. Its a 2004 wrangler rubicon 6cyl 5 speed.

Transmission isn't out enough to get to presure plate bolts. Any other ideas I don't understand why this thing won't just yank out of there. Bellhousing is unbolted from the engine and still atached to transmission.

Yes he tried pushing in the clutch pedal. He has tried everything. He can get the transmission to completely go back together but cant get it more than an inch and a half out when he tries to remove it.

Did you try applying the clutch while the come along had it under tension?

Have you tried asking your biggest buddy, as in huge, to lay under the transmission and push up and down on the tailshaft while someone pumps the clutch and someone else ratchets the come along? Kinda Redneck, but as long as the transmission doesn't land it your huge buddie's crotch it might work.

Either you are going to have to apply more brute force in pulling, like a winch, or some creative use of pry bars.

Putting the clutch disc in backwards must have been quite difficult. It would probably force the disc to sit at an angle on the input shaft making removal very difficult. Am surprised you can move it at all. Looking at my AX15 (out of the vehicle) I wonder if you could get access to the plate bolts through the CPS access ports but if the engine and transmission are in situ that would suck. I would try a combination of wiggling the transmission while trying to turn the engine while seeing if you can get more movement. You have to get those bolts removed somehow. Pity it is a new style housing as I think on the old ones you might be able to get at the bolts from the slave cylinder access hole. Finally you could always drill an access hole in the bell-housing and get a socket through it. The housings are not that expensive and it actually would not compromise it that badly.

Also are you absolutely sure you have ALL the bolts removed including the ones for the inspection cover?

I am positive all the bolts are out. He can spin the transmission almost upside down but it wont pull out further than an inch and a half.

You have to get the pressure plate bolts off. Can you see them through the gap? Can you see the friction disk to try to push that forward with a screwdriver? One option is to take a hole saw to the housing to get access.

Transmission isn't out enough to get to presure plate bolts.
???????????????
This part does not make sense to me,
???????????????
On most transmissions, these pressure plate bolts are removed with bellhousing still attached and transmission still fully inserted. ( DO NOT confuse pressure plate bolts with the flywheel bolts).
Now, the least expensive part at this point is the bell housing.
If it was mine
and I could not reach the pressure plate bolts
I'd bust the bellhousing up with a large hammer or saw.
Maybe just cut a hole for acess to bolts.
Then remove the pressure plate bolts.
If the transmission actually moved 1.5 inches out, your pilot bushing(in the end of the crankshaft) is not the problem.
I'm guessing the pilot bearing welded itself to the transmission input snout.

Last edited:
???????????????
This part does not make sense to me,
I'm guessing the pilot bearing welded itself to the transmission input snout.
I think we may have a winner here.

My guess is you’re looking at something like the first picture. I would think you could get to the pressure plate bolts through the clutch slave cylinder hole, bumping the engine to rotate the flywheel. You might have to wrestle the release fork out of the way. The second picture is just to remind you where the pressure plate bolts are.

026a.jpg

043.jpg

Thanks everyone for there help he got the transmission apart by accessing the presure plate bolts through the cps hole. The problem was a combination of things, first was the clutch he installed was the wrong one, and second the pilot bearing welded itself to the transmission input shaft. He is ordering a sachs clutch this time so he knows it will be correct. The transmission input shaft he noticed has some play in it,is that ok or is that a problem he has to adress now? It doesn't move more than an eighth inch in any direction. Thanks for everyones help .

You shouldn't have much play in the input shaft. 1/8" sounds like a lot. The input bearing might be toast. I'm guessing he either didn't replace the pilot when he did the clutch or damaged it reinstalling the tranny.

I had virtually no play in the input shaft after I rebuilt my AX-15. I had around 3/16" play after the pilot bearing nuked and took out the input bearing.

Back