• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready to install a 241OR Rubicon TCase

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Some of you may have read THIS thread about why I am having to replace my TCase. Instead of dropping 2.5K on an Atlas or sTak, I decided to go with a Rubicon TCase. The 241OR I am getting came out of a 07 Wrangler Rubi, and has less than 10k miles on it. I got a decent deal on it after searching around for a couple days. $800.00 even, shipped to my house. Got it through my uncles salvage yard (C&R Auto), who got it from Matlock's in N.C.

Every other 241 I saw with decently low mileage was around 1200 bucks.

Anyway, its on the way to me, and I need to know what else I need to get. I have front and rear Tom Woods CV shafts, so I know I will have to get 1310 front and rear yokes for the 241. I think I can get them from Tom for about 75 each? Can anyone confirm this? Any chance the 1310 yokes from my broken 231 will work? (I have an AA SYE with the 1310 yoke)

I have read that some XJ owners are able to just plug and play on the speedo connector, can anyone tell me if this is the case with my 1996 Sport? I know 96 is a change year, so could it go either way... Does anyone have a picture of their speedo connector for the 241?

What else will I need? I have read the shift linkage will work just fine, is this true?

Looking to hear from those who actually have done this swap. I know there are quite a few on here... Looking forward to this crawl box!

Thanks, James

Yep, from what I understand they are the same TJ Rubi, and JK Rubi ( I certainly hope so....)

I hope so too man good luck. If not i'm sure you could make a profit on it and get a TJ 241!

I have a pretty decent machine shop in my basement, that sucker is going in one way or the other.

~James

Thats the spirit!

After another hour or so of reading, it looks like this should be an easy swap. I just got off the phone with Tom Woods, and have a set of front and rear 1310 CV yokes coming for the 241OR. $155.00 bucks for the yokes, I should be able to do the swap for just under 1K.

I have the newer style speedo sensor, so that should be a simple plug in ordeal. I will have to do a little re-wire on the position gear switch for the dash light, as the connector is different, but should be easy enough.

I will have to flip the shift lever 180 degrees roughly, make minute adjustments, and that should be all set as well.

Now the waiting game starts. My Jeep looks a little like an awkward turtle with its shafts just kinda hangin' there underneath it.... poor guy.

~James

I guess I will update this thread as it happens for anyone searching for info on the swap.

Here is what I am replacing.

DSCN0862.jpg

DSCN0863.jpg

This is the crappy part, almost new NP231 SYE kit from Advanced Adapters. Less than 3000 miles on it. I guess I can sell it to re-coup a little bit of my money.

DSCN0864.jpg

~James

I may be interested in that SYE. Let me know.

He's probably still looking for a signal adapter to make his speedometer work ;)

He's probably still looking for a signal adapter to make his speedometer work ;)

You dont need an adapter unless you need to compensate for gears/tires.

Back