• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is it worth it?

wishbone

NAXJA Forum User
New guy here, and new to XJ's. Just picked up an 88 XJ renix, 4.0.
after buying this thing, (don't worry, it was cheap) Ive finally started a full inspection and so far, this is what Ive found.
1. Starter is being held at an angle via bailing wire. not really sure why, but it is, and its really loud and rough starting.
2. One of the front LCA's is bent pretty bad, and upon further inspection, its mounting point on the 'frame' is torn. Not to where the bolt mounts, but almost.
3. As I was loosening the Xfer case fluid check bolt, noticed that the transmission is not bolted to the crossmember.
Besides alot of stuff needing replacement, cat back, rear main, TPS, CPS, etc., etc., Disco front 30, window motors, What would you do? the engine is strong, and the AX-4 seems o.k. Needs some adjustment, but shifts and doesnt slip. The 242, (clearly not what this heep came with) will engage, but I doubt the axle will.
I Have access to a great junk yard, but I think Id be replacing more parts than its worth.
I would like to have an XJ that is dependable in winter, and light trail use. Nothing major.
So? is it worth it?

IMHO, you dealing with an iceberg.

Just like an iceberg, you're only getting a glimpse of just how much wrongness there is with this hulk. Sounds like whoever owned it was seriously rough with it; breaking things and beating the snot out of it, and only fixed things with a quarter-assed approach that makes the duct-tape-and-bailing wire crowd think, 'dude, that is SO Mickey Mouse!'

If this is what you've found so far, imagine what you'll find a few months from now?

If I were in your shoes (and I have been, except I paid WAY to much for my particular pile) I would look for another XJ, one with a good body & interior, and buy it. Keep your current XJ for parts, or sell off the good stuff. If you got it for cheap enough, you may even turn a profit!

:)

Iceberg is the perfect analogy. For instance, you probably need a new flywheel because the starter has tore up the teeth. It's like russian roulette. When it stops on a place missing a tooth, it won't start, just starter spin. Do you think he ever changed the oil? (Rhetorical) You will probably put a lot of work in to your Jeep over the next few years. There will be enough problems you don't see on any used vehicle. Don't start with one that is already this sick. Is the rest of it perfect? Does all the electrical work? Wipers, turn siganls. All the doors and windows work perfect? Seems like you can get a well cared for one for $1500 or so and be better off.

1st post, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Check in at the Colorado forum, great bunch there: http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

We have several great yards here, parts are cheap, you need a hobby anyway.

How about some pictures?

What part of town are you in?

x2, welcome.

if you have the money to pickup a better renix, do so... the discussion of your flywheel can very well be true... but who knows without inspecting it.
its up to you, but its hard for us to offer an opinion without seeing it...

reliabilty is worth more to some than others... if its your #1 concern... start over before its too late.

what kinda rear end is in it? and does it have goodies like tow hooks/skids?

At the VERY least, you need to fix the safety items if your considering driving it at all! Get the lca mount fixed and the tranny bolted up. If you try to sell it, make sure to disclose that stuff to cya. The starter should be properly mounted asap as well, mostly to protect your wallet. The other things are part of the joy of owning an XJ.

Back