• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best swampers for my rig thinking boggers

metalandmud01

NAXJA Forum User
i got a 88 xj with a 5in lift goin to galloways 4x4 fri to trade for some used tires, they mainley have swamper stuff. Im gonna put 33s on it and at least 12.50 wide. I play in the mud more than anything but do want to take it to some orv parks like uwharia (sure i spelled it wrong) and gulches if yall are familiar with them. I got the d35 in it for now but if i have any problems ill replace it. Im thinking boggers what do yall think?

I think you will have problems with the 35.

probibly but we will see not gonna replace it uless i have to or i want the rear locked then im gonna put a 29 spline 8.25. im more worried about which type is the best for me

Go with the TSL. They work great in the mud, second only to Boggers, but are a much better overall tire.

Man boggers are awesome don't get me wrong have seen them go through some unbelievable stuff but have 0 percent lateral traction I like the ltbs they are tsls but more aggressive

radial or bias and id probibly want a lighter tire right or does it make much difference

Yes, you want as reasonably light a tire as possible. It depends on what you want to do with the rig. For a daily driver, I'd go TRX US or SSR radial (in that order) for a trail only rig I'd go TSL or SX (in that order)

The only way I'd run Boggers is if I upgraded the axles (which you aren't going to do anytime soon, it sounds like) and if I ran mud pits exclusively. The Bogger is extremely heavy, wide, and tends to bite too hard on some terrains. That all leads to axlewrap and parts breakage. You can take a grooving iron to them and add some lateral traction, but your best bet for a bias is the TSL IMO.

the truxus isnt quite as aggresive as a would like. what do i sacrifrice as far as traction going with a radial? im leaning towards radial cause they are lighter and the road life. and mud is my primary terrian but i would like to expand a little

I've been running 34/10.5 LTB's for awhile now and would highly reccommend them , cost is'nt too bad , think I paid 167.00 a tire locally , so they are way cheaper then boggers

Last edited:
As mentioned before, Boggers are a poor choice for anything but mud trails due to the large lugs and no side-side traction. You can groove them, but even then many guys who run the mountain trails in PA don't like them.

SSRs are nice since they're usually narrow, better gas mileage and such. Otherwise, LTBs are killer!

Radial vs Bias... Radial is easier to balance (all Swampers are HARD to balance, though). Bias are often heavier and have stronger sidewalls and occasionally more sidewall tread. Bias ply will also flatspot overnight (round again after they warm up). Generally, if you drive on the road, you'll want a radial tire.

I'm currently running 33" bias TSL's on my daily duty toy. They flat spot, they are heavy, they are loud as hell, the balancer at work never got past the "excessive road force detected" stage in balancing. Wet driving can get iffy at high speeds, so keep it calm like i do. Take it easy in light snow. Heavy snow is great, digs easily and bites much better than my old BFgoodrich all terrains/definety dakotas/goodyear wranglers.

off road they are a blessing incarnated into rubber, enough said.

I hope my words help :paperwork

thanks for all the advice seems like i need to try to find something in the tsl family thats a radial if radial wont hurt my traction. any more input is apperciated though the more i know the better. also this is kinda off subject but when i do change my rear end is it worth it to upgrade to the 8.8 over the 8.25 the only thing keeping me from doing it is welding on brackets because i dont think my welder is good enough and i have never welded to axle tubes and dont know if there is anything special i have to do.

I DD my LTBs and they do OK. unbalenced so they vibe alot. they wear alittle quicker then i would like but if i cant find a deal 36's soon i will be buying more LTBs

33" swampers + d35 + mud = gonna be fun

let us know how it goes..
im guessing thats sarcasm know ppl who have put bigger with locker never had problems had one with 33 mts and a locker never had problems if i do ill change it which brings me back to my last question about the 8.8 and 8.25

the 8.8 is stronger but I would not personally would not change out the 8.25 for the 8.8. you can buy aftermarket 8.25 shafts and you only need to carry one as a spare since the shafts are the same lenth. the nice part about the explorer 8.8 is disk brakes , huge difference in braking. if the 8.25 is already in your rig , I would'nt change it out , if you have a D35 right now, I would try to find a 8.8 , that's my .02$

i've run 33" boggers before and let me tell you they are a BITCH on the road. sounds like you're riding in a jet going down the highway and slowing from 45-10 vibrates everything inside. in the mud i never got stuck with em and wouldn't have traded em for any other tire for that reason only. i do have the 8.25 though. ran the tires on 15x10 AR rims with 2" bs. looked like a full width cuz of that and didn't look safe at all. i thought i would've broken an axle from the extra stress

what about welding the brakets on the 8.8? ive got a nothern brand 4 heat settings mig welder that runs on regular house voltage i dont think its really good enough to do it with, and is there any spiecal technecs for welding on the axle tubes?

Back