• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel stud ?

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
how hard is to install wheel studs into a 8.25?

you mean on the axle shafts??

if so, its a press fit....you pound them in from the back of the axle shaft flanges

obviously, you'll need to remove the axle shafts first

ok awesome...what all does it take to remove the shafts? does the 8.25(27 spline) have c-clips?

Pound them out.

Get a lug nut(or 1/2" fine thread nut) and a washer.

Take the stupid chrome cap off the stock lug nut.

Put the lug nut on backwards.

Tighten down the (lug)nut until the stud pulls through.

Done deal.

Pound them out.

Get a lug nut(or 1/2" fine thread nut) and a washer.

Take the stupid chrome cap off the stock lug nut.

Put the lug nut on backwards.

Tighten down the (lug)nut until the stud pulls through.

Done deal.

i assume i dont have to take the axle shafts put if i do it this way?? or do i still have too?

Yes, you still need to remove the shafts. The quote is how to pull the new studs in. Don't even think about trying to pound them out with the shaft still it unless really want to destroy the diff.

Yes, you still need to remove the shafts. The quote is how to pull the new studs in. Don't even think about trying to pound them out with the shaft still it unless really want to destroy the diff.

Ive done it countless times to many different axles, and have NEVER had a problem. To each his own, make more work for yourself and pull the shaft.

ok well im not taking wheel studs out.. im missing 1 on the driverside so im just placing a new one in the hole

awesome thanx, i will try this tomorrow and let ya know what happens

Don't even think about trying to pound them out with the shaft still it unless really want to destroy the diff.

how would pounding on the axle to get the stud out do anything to "destroy" the diff? the axle slides freely in and out of the splines in the spider gears. there is nothing for it to hit against, let alone ruin. :dunno:

how would pounding on the axle to get the stud out do anything to "destroy" the diff? the axle slides freely in and out of the splines in the spider gears. there is nothing for it to hit against, let alone ruin. :dunno:

No sh!t huh, JU must be down.

Pounding on an axle to get a stud out isnt going to explode the diff. You are pounding against a 5/8"(or even bigger) hardened steel rod. If you bend that, you are doing someting WAY wrong.

The only thing I can think of being affected would be the C-Clip but I'd assume that generally gets more stress just driving down the road when making turns and such!

Well you know how they say the hammering of an impact on a hub nut is bad for the bearings and you only supposed to do it by hand?

Thats what who says?

Ive rattled on lots of differet hubs on lots of different cars and trucks and have never had a problem. :dunno:

Every experience for someone else can be different though.

I have destroyed a few hubs that way. Also I knew a guy in a shop who said they always used impacts on hub nuts but had alot of returns with bad hub bearings, and then finally the manufacturer found out and would not warrant any more replacements until they stopped using the impact.

I have destroyed a few hubs that way. Also I knew a guy in a shop who said they always used impacts on hub nuts but had alot of returns with bad hub bearings, and then finally the manufacturer found out and would not warrant any more replacements until they stopped using the impact.

Is that because the impact over tighten the nuts or because it do not tighten them enough. Impact or not, I always put a torque wrench on mine for the final tightening.

Back