• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Oil Filter - Potential PROBLEM??

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well.... I have always like to use the extended oil filter options on previous vehicles, for additional reserve, media, cooling, etc. There is a recent, and active, thread here re the Wix 51773 and various equivalents... I installed a 51773 yesterday, and added about 6.5 quarts, then couldn't get a clear and certain level reading, so checked this morning, and found it to be overfilled... Now: It occured to me that given the horizontal attitude of the filter, unless it has an anti-reverse-flow check valve, the filter is NOT housing it's capacity in additional oil at power-down. Thus, UNLESS one arrives at a dependable and accurate overfill point on the dipstick to reflect the additional volume the 51773 'consumes' during operatin, it would seem, at least at initial consideration, to potentially be ROBBING it's additional volume/capacity from engine flow during engine operation...?? Further, I don't understand how one or two gents indicated that, with the 51773, they used 7 quarts?? Yes, the longer filter will hold SOME additional oil, but not that much, relativley speaking.

I would much appreciate informed, INFORMED, input rather than speculation, which we are all fairly good at...:)

(I had returned the two 51515 Wix filters yesterday, but happened to find a Carquest Wix-made filter of '51515' size and, since I needed to lose 1/2+ quarts anyway, I swapped out so I won't feel that uncertain 'n uneasy feelin' when I hit the mountains this weekend... Will hang onto the 51773, though, pending...)

Thanks, as always, for the insights...!

If you used a filter that is 1/2 quart larger, added 6.5 quarts of oil, then your dip stick should still read at the normal fill level. If your dip stick is showing an overfill, then the filter is not holding the extra oil. Wix is a top not filter and should perform as they are designed.

rstarch345 said:
If you used a filter that is 1/2 quart larger, added 6.5 quarts of oil, then your dip stick should still read at the normal fill level. If your dip stick is showing an overfill, then the filter is not holding the extra oil. Wix is a top not filter and should perform as they are designed.

Thanks for the reply... So, are you confirming that the Wix fiilter should have an anti-backflow valve..???

Expedient said:
Thanks for the reply... So, are you confirming that the Wix fiilter should have an anti-backflow valve..???

Yes. Same internals as the stock filter, only longer.

I used 7 qts to get 1/2qt low, I don't understand why you were overfilled. Oil pan bent?

I've tried and used Mopar, K&N, Mobil-1, Purolator, WIX [came with the jasper engine as part of the accys kit the engine ships with]. Had no problems with the Mopar, K&N, Mobil-1 and the WIX. I had problems with the purolators 3x on two different jeeps. I've settled on K&N, Mobil-1 and Mopar, K&N's are always in stock, local AdvancedAuto just started carrying Mobil-1 and the Mopars I need to go to the dealer for 30 min away. WIX is only carried by NAPA and they keep bankers hours so I never shop there.
AdvancedAuto is having a sale on Mobil-1 filters till the 30th, $8 per filter, no limit, I'm good for the next year on all 3 jeeps and the oldsmobile based on 3 month change intervals. You might want to consider going to the larger Mobil-1 filter that several use here.

If you filter is draining back. Then your oil presser will take longer to get up to spec on startup. If not you may have a bent pan, wrong dipstick etc.

Back