• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unimog axles in xj

BenDiesel

NAXJA Forum User
the serch button hasnt given me much. any one ever put unimog axles under a xj?

JohnX owns an MJ with portal axles under it. that is the correct term for those type of axles. i believe they are made by Volvo. try searching for "portal" or "portal axle"

edit: some digging yeilded an old post of mine, with links to the thread when with pics from when John bought the Mj http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243523721&postcount=21

apparently volvo portals and unimog axles are not the same thing. similar in design but different. either way, hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
There is an XJ over here with mog axles under it. Course, the Mog axles are a lot easier to get over here... It stays broken more than it is fixed. But, it looks pretty cool.

~James

Where's Jim?

jesuslol.gif

thanks for the replys. are the portal axles were weaker then the traditional style? i have herd they leak alot form the gear boxes but thats the nature of the beast.

front mog/9 strange housing and center,detroit 35 spline,2.50 ratio,300m shafts,weps high steer. The rear is a straight axle,strange housing and center,arb 35 spline.

D300 pass drop. stock pump and hydro assist
85 4runner front brakes on all corners
39.5" rockers
stock 98 V8 Grand cherokee coils all corners
6'6" to roofline
19" under the diff

1260154214.jpg

1260265232.jpg

Shitty cell pics of rear links
1260265230.jpg

1260265228.jpg

1260154215.jpg

i can get better pics if anyone cares

Oh yeah its my daily driver

Last edited:
i just bought a home in VA and flew home to NY to build the jeep. I only had 5 days so i need to finish the brakes and some other little crap then driving it back here to virginia beach monday. Once i get some free time ill do a build thread.

There is a unimog 406 localy for sale... didn't even know what it was until i researched for a bit (only a few mins. ago... lol)

I think im going to stick with my xj but how capable are these little rigs...

and why would someone want to stick the axles under there xj... strenght?? (im showing my noob side.... lol) :doh:

Back