• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 No Crank, no start

toast

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to help a friend with her 97 xj. Its only got 275k on the clock. Motor has 102k, from a 98 xj. I didnt have many tools when I went to look at it....It has a new battery, cleaned the NSS a month ago, so I dont believe those are at fault.

It doesnt even try to crank. I tried tapping the starter, but no change. Tried to Jump start it, with no change. Swapped the starter/ASD relay with no change. The 30 and 40 amp fuses all looked good.

The interesting thing about it is that the gas gauge, and the voltage gauge dont move when you turn the key to run. The oil pressure guage does slightly move. I then swapped in my pcm (98 xj), but still nothing. Tomorrow I will try to tow it here so I can work inside with real tools.. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

Hallo. The wire coming from the battery and going to the solenoid of the startermotor has to be hot. So try to connect the 2 big contacts with a screwdriver.
The startermotor will spin. And then, maybe the problem is in the solenoid and plunger.
Check the connectors of the battery and the groundwire to the firewall with a DMM on resistance.:yap:

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Does it click, or make any noises?

You might have cleaned the NSS, but you might want to double check it, is it positioned correctly?

You checked all the fuses?

New battery or not, fully charge the battery and have it load tested FIRST.

LIFE begins with the battery.

If you don't have a fully charged and load tested battery you are just Ping into the wind.

Hallo. You can bridgewire the pins #30 and #87 of the starterrelay.
If the solenoid is only clicking the battery is lost. see Joe.
If the startermotor starting, the ignitionswitch is broken or the fuse died or the NSS is not right adjusted. See Begster. :D

Last edited:
Well I'll get the beast in the morning...Hopefully its something simple. What worries me is the lack of gauges? Even during the jumpstarting attempt.

The interesting thing about it is that the gas gauge, and the voltage gauge dont move when you turn the key to run. The oil pressure guage does slightly move. I then swapped in my pcm (98 xj), but still nothing. Tomorrow I will try to tow it here so I can work inside with real tools.. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

The problem with the gauges could be caused by a problem common the XJs and TJs.....
The 97+ XJs have a problem with the instrument cluster bus connector pins oxidizing which will cause the gauges to be non responsive...

Are any of the lights on the cluster illuminated; such as Check Engine or Air Bags ?? These can be indications of what I described above....

As for the engine not starting... and no clicking of the starter solenoid; check the battery voltage first, then the cables going to the starter and ground for oxidation.
IF these check good.... then place the transmission in NEUTRAL and try starting again....
As others have posted... you can jump the starter solenoid to verify the function of the starter and battery.

Good luck with the troubleshooting......

Last edited:
Ok, a quick update! Got the xj towed back to my house. The battery also passed the load test. I was unable to get the starter to engage jumpering the solenoid. Just clicked. I replaced the starter with a known good one, but there is no change in status. I guess I will be checking/replacing the wires tomorrow. I dont think the NSS is at fault, because I can now hear the soleniod. The CEL, Brake light, airbag light, and Odometer all illuminate, so I dont think its the instrument panel pins

If you tried to jump between the two posts on the starter with something solid like a screwdriver and it didn't turn over, it doesn't have anything to do with the NSS. There are only a very few components involved in this. The battery, the heavy wire down to the starter, the starter, the ground wire from the battery to body, and the ground wire from the body to the engine. Nothing else is involved. If these are all good - it WILL turn over.

CPS has nothing to do with cranking, just spark and fuel.

Just spark, not fuel. And agreed, CPS will still allow you to crank.

OP, I know you said you've replaced the starter with a known good one, but have you taken the original one to an autoparts store to get a free check out? I would take both there, and see.

PCM shuts down ASD within 3 seconds if no CPS signal is received. The injectors are fed 12 volts through the ASD. Also the PCM shuts down the fuel pump if no CPS signal in 3 seconds after key is put in run position.

Sounds like the cables to me...Make sure both cables ARE clean an tight..Check for volts at the starter...Twist the cables to make sure they are not bad at the clamp at the post.. By hand, i found my neg cable was bad doing this test

Remove starter from engine lay it on tne ground hook up jumper cables to battery hook neg. battery cable to starter housing touch pos.cable to main starter solenoid to test starter.

Ok, another update! I ended up replacing both battery cables, and kept my known good starter in there. Hers did test good, but the bushings must be getting worn, didnt sound that great. It cranks better than any 4.0 I've ever seen now!

On to my next question....I fired it up twice before snugging up the connections. Tightened everything up, fired it up, pulled out of the garage, called the owner, shut it off. 30 seconds later, I decided to park it somewhere else. It cranked, and cranked and cranked. Had to floor it to get it to start, then ran like poo at idle. Would this be a suspect CPS, TPS, or IAC?? CPS and TPS are from the donor motor with 102k, original IAC.

Sounds like the computer isn't remembering the idle settings.

Mine does that if the battery runs down, the alternator doesn't work well enough to get it charged right away, so when I first jump it, I need to hold my foot on the gas for a while or else it will die

Yeah, when my battery was going dead, and I barely got it started, it screwed up the brain for a short time until it figured out how to work again. Keep the RPMs up for a little while and it will figure it out. Just a minute or two and it won't stall. (hopefully)

Back