• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Alternator

tigtag

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ and am wanting to start working on it myself. My alternator has gone bad, so I want to replace it. Is this a difficult project? Any recommendations for a higher output alternator? I have an onboard compressor and would also like to add some driving lights and possibly a winch eventually. Thanks for your help!

IIRC you can use a GC alternator.

I had it tested at a local shop and they said it was bad. Maybe I'll get it checked again and get another opinion.

He was just checking to see if you had actually done your homework on testing it, so if they said it's no good then thats fine.

http://www.highoutputalternator.com/
They make pretty much the best alternators money can buy. Spendy but worth it.

rockauto.com

136A alternators for 1998 Grand Cherokees.......new ACDelco for $150

provided you dont mind doing a slight bit of grinding...

It's an easy job replacing it. I just put a new one in my 98. It's a 120A (stock is 90A) and is direct fit. I bought it off ebay, brand new, for $65. I think the vendors name is alterstart or something along those lines. Just search for xj alternator and it should come up. It works great!

You can test it by just hooking it up to your battery.

However, testing it does not always mean it's ok. I had my alternator tested at Autzone and by hooking to the battery directly. Both times it spun over fine. However, when hooked up to the jeep, it would only work sporadically.

I replaced it with one with a warranty. Cranks over much faster/better now.

You can test it by just hooking it up to your battery.

However, testing it does not always mean it's ok. I had my alternator tested at Autzone and by hooking to the battery directly. Both times it spun over fine. However, when hooked up to the jeep, it would only work sporadically.

I replaced it with one with a warranty. Cranks over much faster/better now.

sounds like you're talking about a starter not an alternator

Back