• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio and Clock Dont Work

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
Well a long time ago, like January I had gotten a new headunit in a Pioneer DEH-XXXX(forgot the numbers). Month or so after installation I was crusing with the heater on and I hear a loud pop, and the clock and radio died.

So I get home and pull out the handy dandy light bulb on a screw driver device. Well the 12v Battery wires were dead. So I checked the fuses under the dash. The Clock and Radio fuses were fine, according to the fuse tester and swapping with other fuses. Also the fuse on the back of the head unit was fine.

So I called up a automotive electrician, and he said check the fusible links. I gave all of them a good tug and they didnt slide out or budge any. So I was told that means they are still doing there job.

Well that bugged the hell out of me, because I was out of ideas. So I cut the 12v wire on my brakes and used that so I can have a radio, and didnt need a clock since the radio has one. :twak: I know bad idea cutting into the brakes 12v, but they still work, and I soldered them together to insure they didnt become short and do a monthy test on them(me sitting a brick on the brake pedal and seeing if they light up).

Well Im getting around to wanting to track this problem down again. So? Where should I start this time. Its only the clock and radio 12v lines that dont work, everything else in the Jeep is working. Also the clock lights up, but no digits, just the background night lights.

Sounds like you have an 89 describing the clock (light behind it) maybe you burned up the circuit board??? I have no idea, since you said the fuse was fine. Do you have another clock you could try? Go to junkyard, and pull a clock from any 88-90 (so it has same connector) and try it. Other than that, i have no idea what could have went wrong.

If your rear-window wiper also does not work, then, you may have a problem with your ignition switch.

Otherwise, you just have to trace the wire(s) from the radio/clock connections back to the fuse panel.

The I really dont care about the clock.

The ignition is fine, because I had to make a jumper from the IGN to the 12v in order to get a disc out of the player. The rear window defrosters used to work, til I scrapped them off when removing the old tint. Ohh well, Im getting a used window from another XJer soon.

Also my XJ is a '88 Pioneer. One of these days Im going to be pulling the dash out, to make sure everything is clean, and organized. Cuzz I have about 5 different boxes under the dash that just dangle, and I believe one to be a black box from the previous owner.

So just check the resistance would be a quick check for now right?

Back