• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scary noise at high speeds???

StandsOnToes

NAXJA Forum User
So driving to work on monday i'm going about 100 (kms) on the highway and all of a sudden i hear a rather loud grinding noise coming from the vicinity of the front driverside wheel..area..... and the jeep kinda pulls to the right (driverside) but as soon as it happens it s gone and i'm driving normally its happens 5 or so times in the 70 - 110 km/hr range and only seems to happen if i'm slightly turning to the left(passenger side) .

At first i figured it was just a hunk of snow that had build up then come loose ( living in canada is fun) but now that it has happened almsot everytime too and from work since monday i'm a little worried.
The weird thing is i was forced to drive to the next city for a work related delivery on tuesday and the entire 5 hour drive there and back plus the 1 hour through the city and it didn't do anything until the next day on my way to work.

I looked at the driver side wheel/wheel well/ tire pressure/ general area. but can't seem to see/find anything out of the ordinary.

The grinding noise only lasts 2-3 seconds and its gone and it only sometimes pulled the jeep.

Can anyone tell me things i should check out to try track the source of this???.....should still be driving this thing?

yep pretty sure its the bearing i jacked it up and the grinding tire "wiggles" abit... any other guesses whether this is for sure the bearing and not maybe the steering arms or other such things?

Bearings might have enough play to make other pieces around the brakes (calipers/rotors/etc.) grind. Look for metal shavings. If you pull the wheels/tires and wiggle the flange up and down and side to side, you'll see for sure where the play is. With a solid front axle, if it wiggles up and down, it has to be the bearings.

Back