• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whirling sound in driveline

comrad_zeelaagee

NAXJA Forum User
last year after putting my lift on my jeep i developed a whirling sound in my driveline somewhere in the front. here's the narrative.

- february i installed a RE 3.5 lift on a '00. included was a h&t sye

- had some vibes before taking to jackass "offroad" alignment shop- they rotated the pinion angle in wrong direction and created a massive vibe but no death wobble.

- shortly after i developed a whirling sound in the driveline which is worse sometimes more than others. it may be temperature/humidity related.

- i've noticed a small leak of gear oil (no drips, just a small amount) from the yoke section of the pinion.

i'm pretty sure my angles are right- but i could be wrong. i'm thinking that it's perhaps a u-joint or a pinion bearing. i'm pretty sure a bearing seal is in order.

any advice is appreciated.

thanks,
andy

Pull the front shaft and go for a test ride,same for the rear.

Did you remove the TC to do the SYE? I did and when I put the transmission mount back in I put it in backwards. This moved everything towards the drivers side 1.25". It caused a whirring like you are describing. Quick way to tell is look at your TC shift linkage. Is it crooked and pushed closer to the driver side wall? If it is then you have your answer.

you thinking that if the noise goes away without the shaft in then it's somewhere in the shaft? i'm 99% positive it's in the front.
Yeap,the cv's and slip yoke get dry/worn.

Back