• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep n00b questions

gurudude

NAXJA Forum User
OK I originally had a huge list o' questions, but I managed to find *most* of them with some searching...

However...

I've got a '86 2 door XJ Chief, 2.8 V6, 3speed auto, 4x4 select-track 180,000

Swap: I've found enough info to know that i want to swap in the 3.4 Camero V6 when thing one goes out... However, I couldn't really find anything to indicate if there's a Overdrive tranny that I can swap in and keep the select-track (it'll see light off-road use (camping) and lots of snow, so I'm assuming that the select-track will be fine)

Terms: I haven't been able to find a really clear understanding of RENIX, tho I gather that it's not applicable to my 86 as "it" becomes a reality for 87-up, correct?

Easy One I Can't Seem To Find: on the right hand side of the dash cluster, just below my so-dim-you-can't-even-see-it-at-night digital clock, there's a large-ish, square-ish knock-out panel... What goes there? Is there an analog clock available...

Radio/Heater: Has anyone attempted to relocate the A/C/Heater controls down one 'slot' to where the horizontal vent below it is? I'd like to instal the touch screen from my old trucks car-puter (MP3/Radio/Satalite/Internet/Navagation/OBDC-III (tho that won't work here!)) and since it's just a tad over double-DIN sized, that would be an ideal place using the radio & HVAC cutouts to give it a factory-ish look... (This one should be fairly obvious when I pull the dash next week to upgrade the gauge cluster, but anyones experience is very welcome!)

On that gauge cluster swap, I've got a setup I hadn't seen on any of the pictures I've checked or on eBay... My old cluster has the speedo that has 0 mph right around 7 o'clock instead of the more common 9 o'clock and has the HUGE gas gauge.... However, unlike all the others like that I've seen, I have 3 gauges (oil, temp volt) and and Idiot light in the lower left for LOW FUEL... Is that just rare, or did someone swapin 3 gauges?I'd be interested to know..

In any case, any help, clarification, etc. would be greatly appreciated...
So far I think I'm really going to enjoy this project..

:worship:
:NAXJA:

The only one I can try to help with is RENIX. I believe it is the electrical system that controls the fuel injection on the early model 4L. It does not apply to the 2.8L. JIM.

First, I could be wrong but I've never heard of a 3.4...I think you mean 4.3. Yes, some models did come with a factory clock. If you check gojeep's site, he has alot of info, which includes a section about the clocks (compatibility and whatnot). As for the gague question, the one you have I have not seen many of, but was another factory option. Finally, I'm no help with the relocation of the vent. When you pull the dash, you should be able to tell if it can be modified.
Good Luck!

Any RWD 3.1 or 3.4 should work just fine. (S-Series or F-Body, or Goodwrench Service Replacement Blocks. Check FWD vehicles for possible donors - if it has starter mounting pads on both sides, it's a "Service Replacement" block, and works with FWD/RWD/4WD.

RENIX is not an issue - if you have the GM V6-60, you should have GM control electronics, which I believe are OBD-I. You can save a lot of trouble (and gain some!) if you go ahead and pull the entire engine and engine management setup from the donor.

Overdrive transmission? Save yourself some headaches and get a THM700R4 and transfer case out of a 4WD S-series, and pull it as a unit. 700R4's are fairly easy to rebuild, and I'd suggest going through the thing before you install it...

5-90

Jess said:
First, I could be wrong but I've never heard of a 3.4...I think you mean 4.3.
The 4.3 is a bit overkill for all the miles I put on it... I found a like last night with pretty much exactally the swap I was thinking of here http://lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_XJ/Project_XJ.htm

He used the fuel system from the 2.8, but I'm comfortable with reworking the electronics to run the fuel injection in stand alone mode (did it a couple of years ago on an S10 that went from a I4 to the 4.3V6

pull your clock out, look at the back, see the light socket?, its probaly burnt out, change the bulb=problem solved, worked fine on mine...gauges all interchange, just plug and play, make sure the speedo connector is the same, metal or plastic, those dont interchange

xjtrailrider said:
The 4.3 is a heck of a good motor. If I had one of the earlier V-6's, thats what would go in it.

No argument - but the V6-60 degree engine is an easier swap (direct.) The 4.3 is a "V6-90 degree" engine, based upon the SBChevvy and 3.8L V6-90 plants, and would require the modification of the engine mounts to the SBChevvy pattern. Granted, that's fairly easy (give AA a call!) but it's still more work that you really need. Whlie the 2.8L V6-60 is, in stock trim, a ball-less wonder, the 3.1L V6-60 is a much improved powerplant (I had a 1985 Cavalier with the 2.8, and a 1991 Corsica with the 3.1...) and the 3.4 was originally released as a "performance crate engine," as I recall.

Again, do not pass up a potential donor just because it's FWD! Crawl under and have a look - the FWD-only block has the starter mount pad on the front side of the engine (as mounted,) but the "Goodwrench Service Replacement" engine will have starter mount pads on the front and the rear of the engine, as mounted - which makes it compatible with all applications (FWD/RWD/4WD.) The only difference, really, between the FWD and RWD/4WD blocks is that the start motor mounts on the "wrong" side for RWD/4WD use.

The THM700R4, some will tell you, is a nutless transmission. True - behind a V8 (I don't know why they ever bothered...) But, if you get one out of an S-series, you can get it with the transfer case mounted and mated, and if you just go through and do a reseal and new clutches, it should last just fine behind the V6-60 plant (unless you go with forced induction, or otherwise get stupid with it.) The THM700R4 should also have a decent array of custom shifters available (if it doesn't mention the 700R4 specifically in the applications, make sure it sez "Reverse Valve Body" - which is what the "R" stands for...) which should be adaptable to the XJ.

5-90

Don't take this the wrong way....butta, I had an 84 with the 2.8L and full time 4X4. I loved it then, but there is no way I would keep and rebuild it. I have a 97 4.0L 2DR XJ Sport now. The engine and drivetrain is far superior, no vacuum hose problems with the 4 wheel drive system etc.. So, IMHO, I would swap that Jeep for a 4.0L HO model that you can fix up. (Horsepower difference 190 vs. 125...even the 4 banger had more.)

Best regards...3 XJs...

The gauge cluster you have was an in-between level between idiot lights and full gauges with tach. I think it was standard on the Pioneer for a while, and may have been on the Chief as well.

There's not a lot of space behind the blank panel in your clock (it's actually part of the clock assembly, as you'll find when you take the dash bezel off), but you could probably punch it out for switches, indicator lights or something.

Back