• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surface Rust on Axle Shafts

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I did a dumb thing.

I'm in the middle of getting a new dana 30 built, and when I stripped it down I left the shafts outside. It rained. Now I have little yellow surface rust spots on the shafts, including the seal areas.

What should I do to fix it? Sandpaper?

any home depot or lowes or the such. It should be in the plumbing department for sanding copper pipe to solder (im a plumber and use the stuff daily). don't use the stuff that looks like sandpaper on a roll, get the stuff that has square holes and looks like more of a mesh. that stuff rocks and doesn't go bad as quickly as the other stuff..

I don't see why they wouldn't rust when installed either as the end of the tubes are left open and exposed to the elements. Unless you had tube seals installed, which I do. But even then water probably still makes its way in, but without the mud, sand, and other debris that can screw up the inner seals.

A brass brush will probably take the surface rust off without messing with the steel any. Use a rust dissolving spray oil or penetrating oil as you brush. Or even old Dexron or Dexron Acetone mix as a penetrating oil.

dont forget to coat the shafts with a light coat of oil (motor oil, diff fluid, atf, etc will all work) to prevent futher rust.

i have had some small amounts of surface rust on my front shafts after i did my gears. i just took a rag and whiped some gear oil on the shafts. there was no rust on the seal areas though. i have had no ill effects.

Back