• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good weekend wrenching... Lockright question...

twcguy

NAXJA Forum User
I spent my weekend installing my ORGS rocker skids and a front Lockright locker.

The skids are awesome, they fit great and look/feel strong as heck. The install was a bit tedious but not difficult. I am really pleased with them so far.

I just put a lockright into my D30. The install was a snap! It works great and was well worth the effort.

The only problem is that even when I am in 2 wheel drive, it makes a quiet clicking sound when I make sharp turns. Nothing really loud, no banging, just a click - click - click. It does not make any noises so far off road, it just makes it harder to steer and gives me lots of traction!

Is this normal? I bought it used and am wondering if there is something wrong. I thought it was supposed to be silent when in 2wd. Anyone?

Josh H

If you have the vacume disconnect I would think it would be silent in 2 wd but the non disconnect axles are a different story. just out of curiosity what gears you running?

It is a 97 so there is no vacuum disco. It is an automatic with 3.55 gears, I believe.

So this noise would be normal then?

This is absolutely normal. You have a non-disco front axle, so with a locker the diff is going to operate in 2wd, hence the ratcheting. If you had a disco axle it would not make any noise because the 'differential' action would be handled between the outer & inner disconnect joint on the axleshaft itself.

Hey, thanks for the quick responses. I was not 100% sure if there was something wrong or not.

I love it so far. It really is not that obnoxious on the street, and it kicks a$$ off road.

When I upgrade the front axle down the road I will look into getting an OX or ARB, but I think this will do fine for now!

Josh

Just curious...would the powertrax no slip work better up front while in 4wd than the lockrite?

Just trying to decide which one to drop in...hoping to get it in place for Moab if we decide to head that way.

Matt

They are essentially the same thing. I used a LockRight for years with 35s and it help up fine. I broke it once & they replaced it with no questions, this was one of the first generation LockRights and they fixed the problem. I'm hesitant to use anything 'new' on my rig, I go with 'tried & true' as much as possible.

Back