• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 9 inch, Vs. 60

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well i might get a chance to buy a ford 9 inch out of a friends bronco for 50 bucks:yelclap:

even though i just finished my 8.8/44 i figured i might pick it up just to have in a few years if i decide to go full width/tons.

so i was thinking, even though the 9 inch is usually a little more expensive to build, for the most part both the 60, or 9 inch would be getting the same stuff...35 spline spool, alloy shafts, and gears. built to the same specs which is stronger, and is it worth it, or should i just wait and get 60s f/r

X2
But think of it this way: Even if the 9" costs a little more to build... you are getting one for $50. How much of a deal will you get on a D60?
Neither one are about to break on anything less than locked 37s or better...

X2
But think of it this way: Even if the 9" costs a little more to build... you are getting one for $50. How much of a deal will you get on a D60?

Heh ask Glenn aka "Ghost" 36" can do it to a 9"

Yea. There is no way you can break a 9" on less than 37s...mmmm...ok...
p001_0_41.jpg

If you have a 8.8 and a HP44 you are good up to 35"36" tires with hard wheeling, about the same with a stock 9" (non aftermarket carrier,stock shafts,).

The above carnage happend with 36"Iroks. Just remember almost anything can break IF you really wheel, on almost any size tire.

My .02

Struggle on.

p001_0_41.jpg

If you have a 8.8 and a HP44 you are good up to 35"36" tires with hard wheeling, about the same with a stock 9" (non aftermarket carrier,stock shafts,).

The above carnage happend with 36"Iroks. Just remember almost anything can break IF you really wheel, on almost any size tire.

My .02

Struggle on.

that is intensely brutal.....yet beautiful??

hmm...well im going to be running 38s on my 8.8/44. i know thats not the ideal size for those axles, but heck...i got em with good tread for 300 bucks...couldn't pass em up

cant decide if when the shafts start breaking if i should get alloys, or just save up and build tons

It is oddly beautiful isn't it?

Don't get me wrong, a 9" can be built stupid strong, truss, Strange or Truhi 9 carrier , spool, 40 spline shafts, = $$$. But for the average junkjard axle builder/wheeler, the Explorer 8.8 will take less $ for the XJ guys with similiar strength.

hmm...well im going to be running 38s on my 8.8/44. i know thats not the ideal size for those axles, but heck...i got em with good tread for 300 bucks...couldn't pass em up

cant decide if when the shafts start breaking if i should get alloys, or just save up and build tons

In my humble opinion, the 8.8 will fare better than a stock 44 front axle with 38s. But who cares! Wheel with what you have! Have fun, go fast, take chances!

And carry spares!:cheers:

and im on the same side of that humble opinion. from everything ive seen the 8.8 will hold up better then the 44 will. but we shall see. everybody told me stock axles locked on 35s wouldnt work but i had a great time with em for a year, and never broke a shaft. little bit of luck, and little bit of knowing when to be hard on it, and when to "finesse" things.

and believe me...spares will be carried. atleast for the 44. between the locker, and c-clips in the 8.8, replacing a shaft on the trail is the last thing im going to do. i have free towing..oh yes

just remember, junkyard is junkyard!

and, a D-60 is 30 spline. to put 35 spline or bigger in it, it has to be drilled (line bored). a 9" you can go 40 spline with no drilling. i'm a fan of both, but they both have positives. both have negatives.

and, axle weight is un-sprung weight, until it's on top of you!

i don't run either, but i have both, and 14 bolts for the big stuff.

p001_0_41.jpg

My .02

Struggle on.

low pinion ftl.

X2

Yep, I'll eat a loss on that one.

I liked the pinion support and better clearance of the nine. Thats what drove me to one.
Spooled with 35 spline shafts, it's the one thing I don't sweat when beating up on my XJ.
The low pinion is something you do need to address, however. i made a pinion skid to help keep the rear ujoint off the rocks. It works pretty well. If the built up nine has a flaw, it's that.

i vote 9". Thats what im building right now and like daffy said, 35 spline and a spool, you should be good with 38's. Id worry about the front now.

What are you smoking? The low pinion is a better out back then a high pinion, oils itself better and is stronger.

-Alex

strength is a non issue with the hi 9 , especially when running a practical tire size.

i would also call the lubrication argument a non issue, many people run high pinion rear axles and i have never heard of a failure due to lack of lubrication

Back