• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picking a cage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking at a couple of different cages for my XJ. It is not, and will not be, a heavily modified vehicle, but I want to be taking my little boy off-roading with me whenever possible, and I'd feel a lot better about having some protection in place for that reason.

I like this bolt in cage because it means I will save on the cost of welding. Also, it lets you continue to use your glove box and be able to reclinie the seats. It also means that you can remove it, and fill the holes in the floor if you want to resell the Jeep at a later time.

http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/xj-84.html

Anybody see any inherent problems with this cage?

Thanks,
Geoff

i was looking at that one but a smart bud of mine said its not worth it

with that much $$ you could get someone to make you a custom cage anyway you please

but if you were ever thinking about selling it:twak:
shame on you

thats my .02

you dont get alot of cage with that kit for the $$ you spend. aoot of the cost of that cage is the knuckle joints. a better cage can be had by talking to a local builder/fabricator. a 4x4 shop will probably do good work but you can find a local guy who works out of his garage for cheaper $$ thru word of mouth and talking to some local jeepers or local club forums.

gcam,

Unfortunately, most of these replies are not answering your original question.

They are, however correct in that "better" cages can be bought and built cheaper, but those kinds of cages are more intrusive to the interior, limit access to the dash, and are not easily removeable.

I have personal experience with the rockhard cage and for all the reasons you mention, it would certainly fit your needs. It is not a bad cage at all and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy one for my own daily driver / moderate wheeling rig - if I had one. I would not recommend this cage for the hard core rigs - which is what I have. Many guys put the cage in to do two tasks - protect in a roll-over, and to provide unibody strength. The rockhard cage will do very little to strengthen the unibody because of the clamps - compared to a welded, triangulated cage.

My best friend had the oportunity to have his '89 2 door be the test rig for their prototype. The owner needed a 2 door XJ to build the kit since all he had built at the time were 4 door kits. I hauled his rig there and back to Nebraska where the kit is built and saw the manufacturing process. It's a very well built kit for a bolt in cage.

One of our guys here in Colorado - planefixer - had a weld in cage that failed dangerously when he was involved in a front impact accident. One of the tubes broke at the weld joint above his head at the b-hoop. Coulda really hurt him had his head hit it. The rockhard cage wouldn't have come apart like that - sure, the clamps might move on the bar, but I don't think it would come apart. I've heard others be critical of the steel plate design used for the A-pillar area between the dash and door. Concern for knee injury in an accident because of the sharp edges. I've sat in my buddy's rig and it really isn't much of a concern - they're a long way from your knee. The other critique is that the 1/4" plate would bend or buckle during a roll. Yeah, it might, but not easily and certainly is way better than no cage and watching the A-pillars and roof come folding in at ya. Something to think about.

There's going to be a whole lot of opinions about the pros and cons about welded and bolted cages, but I think the rockhard cage is certainly better than no cage and is a well built unit.

If YOU are ok with the price for what you need a cage to do, then I say go for it. I can't imagine you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:
Yeah, because DOM is so sharp.:rolleyes:
Anyway, the tubes are still welded to the clamps, so there's still the possibility of the same type of dangerous failure.
There seems to be NO triangulation, except in the cargo area (WTF?), and without it, it still will be weak and subject to folding over, albiet less likely than without.
It'll be better than nothing, but definitely not worth a GRAND!

edit: After closer inspection, it looks like you can add more clamp-on rectangulation (you do know it's the new triangulation, right?) for another half grand......(n)

Last edited:
If you're going to go with a cage, go exo-cage. The problem is the vehicle has no frame (unibody) and therefore any internal cages are a waste of time. They won't hold up and they won't protect the weak exterior. C-Rok's design is the best I've seen and it is completely removable (bolt-in) in the event you no longer want or need the cage.

Mark Smith said:
If you're going to go with a cage, go exo-cage. The problem is the vehicle has no frame (unibody) and therefore any internal cages are a waste of time. They won't hold up
That ranks right up there with the top SPOBI of all time.....

Mark Smith said:
If you're going to go with a cage, go exo-cage. The problem is the vehicle has no frame (unibody) and therefore any internal cages are a waste of time. They won't hold up and they won't protect the weak exterior. C-Rok's design is the best I've seen and it is completely removable (bolt-in) in the event you no longer want or need the cage.

Well...at least you are not "less off"

:D

Rev

internal cages do not help unify and strengthen the unibody while giving me roll over protection?? dang i better send mine back!

Hmm.. I don't like the idea of a cage using clamps, and when I build mine It will be Dom and all welded. Not sure of the 1/4 plate but if thats the only way to attach it then so be it. I would wonder thou. For the price... would it be cheaper.. to get a machine shop to make the clamps for you and fabbing the cage yourself... THe clamps look like aluminum... you could make a mold and cast your own in that case... if you are into those kinds of thing.

Is there someplace with lots of pics on different styles of weld in custom cages.. I would like some ideas.

Mark Smith said:

That is probaby the most unedjucated and ignorant tech post I've ever seen on the site.
I congratulate you.

YELLAHEEP said:
One of our guys here in Colorado - planefixer - had a weld in cage that failed dangerously when he was involved in a front impact accident. One of the tubes broke at the weld joint above his head at the b-hoop. .

Actually :lecture: ..........

The cage (DandC) didn't fail.The impact lifted me out of my seat and I hit my head on the main hoop.The cage held together just fine.We were still in the process of building the cage and the front section was only tack-welded :eek: to the main hoop at the time and the tack-welds held .:looney:

planefixer said:
Actually :lecture: ..........

The cage (DandC) didn't fail.The impact lifted me out of my seat and I hit my head on the main hoop.The cage held together just fine.We were still in the process of building the cage and the front section was only tack-welded :eek: to the main hoop at the time and the tack-welds held .:looney:

Well, maybe I misunderstood. I coulda sworn I saw the left side rear bar was broken at the welds where it was attached to the back of the B-pillar hoop. Back when I came out to the shop and helped swap parts. :dunno: No biggie.

Regardless, I wasn't trying to say it was a bad cage - just that any cage is only as good as the welds that hold it. The original thread poster was concerned about clamps vs. welds and what holds. Seemed to me that the rockhard cage would suit his needs and address his concerns just fine. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back