• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalls/No Gauges

Jeep_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
The Jeep is a 2000 Cherokee w/ the 4.0L and an automatic transmission. The first problem is that when the key is turned to the on position, the gauges do not move at all, the second problem is that once you do start it, the Jeep stalls after 2 seconds no matter how much you rev it. The gauges also do not work when the Jeep is on. Also, if you leave the key in the on position, the screen says No Bus and the check engine light comes on. Both of these problems happened at the same time and it was running great before. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, but those are only about the gauge problem, the main problem is that the Jeep shuts off after 2 seconds regardless of how much you rev it. It starts up fine and idles fine also, it just automatically shuts off. I think the shutting off problem and the dead gauges are related as they both went at the same time. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mine is shutting down after about 1 minute. I'm 95% sure it is my engine computer. I'm currently looking to find one that will work with mine. I bought an ECM from a 2000, but didn't know they went to distributorless ignition that year. So my Jeep will start up perfectly and run, but it runs horrible with that computer due to the timing being way off. But it doesn't seem to stall anymore; not yet at least!:repair:

Does your fuel pump prime right away when you turn the ignition to on? Mine wasn't priming properly and after the Jeep stalled, the fuel pump and electric fan would start turning on/off randomly. Might be worth a shot! And, oddly enough, you can get a used computer for cheaper than the damn CPS!

I don't know if the '00's had anti-theft or not. But, I had this issue with a '00 Pontiac that I was working on. It ended up being that the Anti-theft was kicking in and shutting the car off. If you do have an anti-theft system in your vehicle then there should be some type of light that will flash on the dash board. See if that light goes nuts just before the engine dies.

The Jeep is a 2000 Cherokee w/ the 4.0L and an automatic transmission. The first problem is that when the key is turned to the on position, the gauges do not move at all, the second problem is that once you do start it, the Jeep stalls after 2 seconds no matter how much you rev it. The gauges also do not work when the Jeep is on. Also, if you leave the key in the on position, the screen says No Bus and the check engine light comes on. Both of these problems happened at the same time and it was running great before. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
I think it is your anti-theft/alarm turning your GCL off after 2 seconds. try putting the key into the hatch key hole and turning it left and right several times, then unlock the hatch and try turning the truck on. If that doesn't work try the same thing on the passengers side door.

I am having the same problem on my 97 GCL but I don't have an alarm anti-theft system on my truck so it doesn't work with mine. I have something else wrong with mine and I haven't been able to figure it out for 2 weeks!:repair:

Thanks for the replies! The Jeep doesn't have an anti-theft system. Also, it starts up and runs just as it did before these issues. Everything works fine but it turns itself off after about 2 seconds. Any ideas?

Back