• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer Swap Questions???

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
If I need to swap out my computer and interior fuse block from another XJ is there anything I need to be aware of? Mine is a 98 XJ Classic, 4.0, Automatic. Does the donor have to be the same year, auto, etc? Are there any repercussions of doing this or is it just a direct bolt-in replacement?

What is the computer on the driver side by the airbox called? The one with the 3 connectors in it. Is that the PCM or ECM? Also, what is the fuse panel on the interior passenger kick panel called; PDC? Just trying to make sure I'm talking about the right parts.

Your VIN number is stored in the gauge cluster and PCM and they must match in order for the rig to run. You'll need and exact year replacement and have it reflashed at a dealer. My local NAPA told me they could do it as well.

you sure on that one? I know that some TJ computers can be swapped from one TJ to another... I assumed 97+ OBDII XJ's were on the same architecture...

I blew my 96 pcm(heater wire on o2 shorted to Borla header--dumb rear facing bung). JY only had a 98 auto pcm so I used it for a while(no tach, no a/c, but no cel) until I got the current 97 ax15 pcm (still no a/c and a cel for a high voltage cts, gen and cel on dimly. I'm getting a 96 ax15 pcm soon so hopefully that'll resolve the cel and a/c issue. If you're interested in the 98 pcm, pm me.

you do not need to get it reflashed. In fact you can't. What they do is replace the card and burn the VIN into a new card, basically giving you a "re-built" PCM. However, since the VIN is burned into the PCM it becomes a problem when you get a state inspection. If you get a JY PCM, the VINS won't match and you're screwed. Ran into kind of a similiar problem. Go to junkyarddog.com and type in your info, it's basically a database of subscribed salvage yards nation wide that'll give you the best deal on a PCM that'll WORK with your XJ. Big thing is make sure the options on the PCM's are the same, the biggest being the factory security system. If your XJ doesn't have it and the PCM you swap in does, no runny runny. Other than that your in like swimwear. If you've got a 98 that doesn't have a distributor I've got a PCM that'll work for you, minus the VIN's matching, for cheap. Good luck!

Well at the junkyard they have my exact Jeep, same year, tranny, option package, even same color! Assuming it's still there this weekend, I might pick it up just in case. I'm going to replace my CPS first and see if that helps the situation!

So, is there a definitive answer on this? It seems 50/50 on the responses of whether or not a new pcm can be swapped in without any issues. I need to get one ASAP because I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

ok, coming from someone that replaced a good PCM with another good PCM, because I was also "pretty sure" that was the problem, PCM's don't typically just go bad. Out of all electrical problems, they account for less than a percent of component failures. You can swap another PCM from the same year, with the same options as yours, the security option being the most importnant, but the VIN number will be wrong in the PCM. Once our PCM's are flashed with the vehicle's VIN, it CANNOT be changed or deleted. So as long as that won't be a problem with your state inspection, you're fine. What is your vehicle doing that you think it's the PCM?

Back