• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Spark Diagnosis after Flooding???

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I swamped my 98 Cherokee. Had water over my lap when I was sitting in it. I had been in deeper water before, but when I hit the water this time, it just stalled out. And then it sat in the water for 15 min. waiting to get towed out and that's when it filled with water, so the fuse panel on the passenger side kick panel was submerged that entire time.

Anyway, we pulled it out, pumped a little water out of the engine, pulled the distributor cap, which was wet inside, sprayed everything with brake cleaner and let it dry a little bit. Tried starting it, just cranked. Had no fuel pressure, so we jumped the relay and that got the fuel pump working. Still no spark, though. We checked the relays and they are good.
Also, my headlights are stuck on when I connect the battery, so that's shorted out somewhere.

Any ideas/suggestions on what first to check? Also, is it possible to just replace that whole fuse panel on passenger side with another from a stock Cherokee? What about the computer? Just in case those are the culprits.

Last edited:
it's more then likely your crank positioning sensor(cps)

i'm sure you'll have someone flame on you about it pretty soon
try serching it's a pretty common problem

I thought about the CPS. I'll probably try replacing that if it doesn't start after drying out for a few days.

To me, when it comes to electronic problems, I get lost. It just seems like it can be so many little things that can leave you stranded.

I'm just looking for suggestions on what are the most likely culprits, so that I can at least attack this problem with some sort of direction instead of hopelessly replacing relays and connections, etc.

good one cale!!!!!! ive done that a couple times, your engine computer got wet and it needs to dry out. remove it from under the dash and open it up and blow dry it then put it back together and bolt in, should be fixed.

Ha, thanks Justin! When are we going to see you on the trail???

My computer is actually located in the engine compartment by the stock airbox, unless there's another computer under there I don't know about. Maybe they changed locations with different years. You're probably right about the computer regardless. I've got to find a way to drag the Jeep home b/c it's sitting at Joe's house right now. Then I'll take things apart and let it dry, see what happens.

Chances are its the CPS those things go all the time. Its not overly expensive ($60-$100) but an incrediable pain to replace. thats what i would try first

I swamp mined.. it was CPS that made it run rough... and my Trans controler connector was wet.. had to replace the first Co2 senser.

I just wanted to add in this bit of info. to help with diagnosis. Before I totally swamped the Jeep, I got it stuck in water up to the bottom of the doors, sat there for prob. 5 min. still running and ran fine up until I hit the really deep stuff when it stalled out as described above. After the first stuck, though, my gauges stopped working and the check gauges light came on.
Does that mean anything at all?

not yet, Justin. I haven't been able to get my Jeep home yet. It's still sitting in Joe's yard. I'm having it towed home tomorrow and I'll take apart the computer and replace the CPS. See if that helps.

Back