• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch Tire carrier + cas can & HiLift mounts

TwistedcaB

NAXJA Forum User
I've already had a lot of people saying they want one so i think im going to start selling them and with whatever accessories people want, Hilift mounts, gas can, whatever, seem to be pretty popular since Full sets ups are very expensive :).. well anyways heres the build so far:

since i dont have the money to buy a full Bumper& tire carrier set up i decided to make a Hitch mounted tire carrier that i could still mount my HiLift and Gas cans on. the first thing was i needed to be able to open the Hatch so i have a pivot on the bottom that would lock in place.

so the first thing i did was take some measurements and then i put everything into a 3D program and i came out with this:

Newest Render:
TC7.jpg

Older:
TC7.jpg

TC3.jpg

TC1.jpg

Its already out there,you might want to check on any patent's.
BTW,they rattle like a "MF"!

there are some out there. but they dont Hinge down. and dont worry i have solutions for all the rattles :)

you should talk to this guy here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570883

looks like he built something similar, looks like his would rattle a lot though. Even with a bolt to hold the 2x2 tight into the reciever I think you will still get movement.

very interested to see how this turns out

Last edited:
Doesn't look like you made much progress between the "Older" and the "Newest Render"

:D

Robert

when you make them let me know. Im heading down to Atascadero for x-mas and can pick one up from you then if i like it.

How many gallons is that gas can? IMO the gas can carrier needs some vertical support. If it is a 5 gallon tank there is 30lbs of gas hanging out there at 6 lb/gal. Also IMO it is still going to rattle with the bolt into the nut that is welded on. nothing is keeping it from going side to side.

What about putting the Jerry cans down low? That way you could actually see out your window.

~Scott

Couple thoughts.
1-If your going to sell this(im assuming "no-mods" required,like welding),how will you stop it from "crazy" ratteling from the receiver?I have quite a few class 3 receivers and couplers.They dont even all interchange due to minor size differences.
2-What size tire are you setting it up for?With an avg tire and gas can and a Hilift your already lookining at lifting over a 100lbs.?

it's not all lost, cept.....the fuel can will spill when ya lower it (they're vented ya know.....or maybe ya dont)

best leave it basic...and be happy.

it's not all lost, cept.....the fuel can will spill when ya lower it (they're vented ya know.....or maybe ya dont)

Actually not,except for pressure,the good ones will not leak in any position!

Couple thoughts.
1-If your going to sell this(im assuming "no-mods" required,like welding),how will you stop it from "crazy" ratteling from the receiver?I have quite a few class 3 receivers and couplers.They dont even all interchange due to minor size differences.
2-What size tire are you setting it up for?With an avg tire and gas can and a Hilift your already lookining at lifting over a 100lbs.?

well im going to set it up depending on the person and what they want. i have someone with a 37" tire who's gona be buying one and ill do some extra gusseting on it. im gooing to be testing mine with my 33 and am going to thrash it to make sure it's ok.
and i have a couple ways to keep it from ratteling in the hitch that some people have told e about.

i think when you're going to lower it if you have leaky cans you can just take em off if youre that worried about it :)

What about putting the Jerry cans down low? That way you could actually see out your window.

~Scott

yeah my 3D program was messing up and wasent letting me lower it. it's gona be having it be centered or level with the bottom of the tire.

Back