• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 Alternator: 2.5L and 4.0L units SAME/Interchangeable??

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Perhaps someone can, with certainly, confirm that the alternator for a '99 XJ with 2.5L is the same, fit/mount-wise, as that used for the 4.0L ?

Thanks much.

Perhaps someone can, with certainly, confirm that the alternator for a '99 XJ with 2.5L is the same, fit/mount-wise, as that used for the 4.0L ?

Thanks much.

Yes, pretty much any chrysler vehicle post 91 had a similar style alternator, almost any will fit (with some modification).

Hiya..JrTxJ (It WAS you, that wanted whichever set of TJ rear flares I don't end up using, correct? - I also, have a trimmed rear set you can have...)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently:

Yes, indeed, the 91-98 alt. cases are identical. Of course, the '99 (and on, I believe) are 117A. The one difference is that the earlier unit has two studs for the secondary wiring, whereas the '99 unit has a two-pin connector.

After considerable searching and researching, I settled on this outfit/unit:

http://www.cpgenerator.com/highampalternators.html

* See the 170A 91-98 Cherokee unit.

If you check the specs, it certainly appears that they have modded/bolstered in all the areas necessary to PROPERLY support the up-wind. I would think it should be as good as the Mean Green or Powermaster units. If not, certainly close-enough for my needs. And...at a net savings of about $130. They even will ship, CA to MA, at $17., less than HALF of what Mean Green charges to drop-ship for their dealers. This unit is built on the 134-Amp G-C/Durango-type case, which is just 1/2" larger in DIA, i.e. an effective 1/4" difference that bears toward bracketry. I believe it will fit fine without any grinding/letting-in of the mount brackets, and is a direct bolt-in, configuration-wise. They use a reduced-diameter pulley to gain a bit of rotation speed for cooling, but the difference can likely be accommodated in the adjustment bolt. If not, a belt about 1/2" shorter will be necessary.

Great response from this outfit, accommodating and knowledgeable...and, I anticipate the unit to reflect that... Will advise re result, likely in a separate, searchable post, as others will likely benefit.

Back