• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does my '99 have a fuel filter?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
If it does, where is it and how often should it be changed, and is it a simple driveway job?

Yes, but it's in the fuel tank. It should be changed when it needs to be changed!! haha, jk.

Until it becomes a problem?? I have no idea when you should change it.

On a 99, the filter is part of the fuel pump assembly, located inside of the fuel tank. Normally, it is not replaced unless there are some sort of fuel delivery symptoms, then most guys replace the entire assembly which consists of pump/regulator/checkvalve/filter.

I got an oil change a while back and the guy said that my fuel filter was dirty and needed to be replaced. Is that something that he could have removed, looked at, diagnosed, and put back together all in a matter of 10 minutes, or was he yanking my chain?

There is no way he could have seen it. You gotta drop the tank and pull out the sending unit. I did it this weekend and it took 2 hrs.

Last edited:
Either yankin' your chain, or maybe he meant the air filter? They never fail to offer one of those.

If it gets up and goes at wide open throttle and high RPMs, your fuel filter is fine. Maybe he was going by the maintenance schedule, should be printed in your owners manual.

Tractors and big trucks have see-through filters that can be visually examined in 10 seconds. Jeeps don't, unless you add one, which isn't a bad idea if you filling up in Mexico or something.

Yea, I wonder if he meant air filter too. If he didn't, don't ever go back to this place for service!!!!! There is no good way of evaluting a 99 fuel filter while changing your oil.

Thanks for your help all. He definitely meant my fuel filter. No mistaking that one. I'll pass the word along to my local friends to avoid that place.

Back