• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Help

96MDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently replaced the water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, etc, on my 96. Now I started it up and it ran fine, after about a day or so it started to squel horrible when the heat was on. I retentioned to belt and the squel went away. Now it only squels when I turn on the A/C. Anyone got any ideas?

Bad clutch/pulley on the A/C compressor.

My 96 did the same thing. failed inspection, replaced belt, squealed like ned beatty.
Cleaned the tensioner/idler (there was a build up of gunk on it), and tightened a turn or two repeatedly till the A/C shut up.
Note, you need to fully tighten everything after every small adjustment, it's a pita, but ....

First question, how did you retension it ? You used a gauge or did it 'best guess good n tight' method...

I used the guage and tightened to factory specs. I thought about the AC compressor clutch/pulley but it wasnt making any noise till I replaced the water pump, etc. Then it was when the heat was on and not the ac, now its when the ac is on and not the heat. Im gonna go pick up another belt put it on retension it and make sure everything is nice and clean.

Back