• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front wheel bearing

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
So got an alignement and the guy said one wheel bearing was starting to go. I think I'm going to go with timken from rockauto: should I do the bad one only or do both?

Mike

I'm guessing if one is going, the other is not far behind... but are they like brakes in that both sides must be done at the same time? I don't think so but want to make sure.

Also, it'd be nice to do one side now and the other side next month, both in terms of money and time (of course, if the one side of the front is apart, the other side doesn't take too long....).

do em both and carry the so called "good" and the "bad" one as trail spares. the piece of mind of both being brand new is worth it, and its easy as hell to do. plus youll have trail spares....

xj-boonie said:
I'm guessing if one is going, the other is not far behind... but are they like brakes in that both sides must be done at the same time? I don't think so but want to make sure.

Also, it'd be nice to do one side now and the other side next month, both in terms of money and time (of course, if the one side of the front is apart, the other side doesn't take too long....).

No, they don't need to be replaced in pairs, and, in my experience, they take the same amount of time to do, so that's not really a factor.

A friend brought his XJ over years back, and we replaced the drivers side. A year later, and a good 15K miles later, we replaced the pass side.

By the same token, One of my XJ ones was bad, and faced with a 2,500 mile round trip a month later, I replaced both bearings, the wheel joints, the brakes... You get the idea :)

Just ordered two. :)

Back